Chuck Roast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all,

I am going to try a 6lb beef chuck roast this weekend with the Chipotle Adobo rub posted by Jim Morrissey a while back. I would like to chop it and use for sandwiches fresh and tacos/enchiladas with the leftovers.

Looking through previous posts there seems to be a discrepancy as to internal temperature for a chuck roast. Some people are saying to cook it to 185-200 and treat it like a pork butt and others are saying to cook it to 135-150 and treat it more like a sirloin roast.

As this is only my second cook on the WSM any advice would be very much appreciated.

BTW, the BRITU ribs I cooked up this past weekend were amazing, I cut the salt in the rub by 1/2 (I have a tendency to over-apply rubs and knew it would be too salty if I didn't).

Tim

Tim...

MOST chuck roasts are very fatty. However, there are a few cuts of chuck that are pretty lean. Assuming you have one of the fatty roasts, you will need to take it to 190?+ if you want to shred for sammiches.

These type of roasts cook very similar to a butt, but in slightly less time....mine have averaged around 1 1/2hrs./lb. With cuts of beef, take into account the thickness of the roast.

Good luck!

I think both temps are correct, it depends on what you are looking for. I take chuck rolls to 195 and chop them. I probably could also take them to 155-160 and slice them. Both would work.
If you are looking for chopped beef for sandwiches I would take them to 195. Might want to mop them with something, some roasts can dry out on the outside though some some through just fine.

I am going to use a spicy mop on the next big roll that I do, maybe next week!

Hey Tim,
Sounds like your enjoying your new cooker. Cook the chuck, just about like I originally said. When a carving fork runs straight through the roast, like cutting butter, it's done. You should err on the side of caution, and not dry it out.
There are many cuts of chuck to choose from, so I would prefer not, give you a specific aim temperature.
Hope you like it.

Jim

Hi Tim,
I did a chuck roast the weekend before last, and it was mostly pullable at 190F. There was only one small section that didn't exactly fall apart, but I just chopped that part. All in all it was really good! I ended up eating sandwiches the first night and made tacos the next. It cooked alot like a Boston butt, probably because it had good amount of fat.

Good luck!
-Rich

I like cooking them to 135. They are my favorite tasting steaks like this. Med rare, tender and very flavorfull. My friends are allways amazed a chuck roast could make a good steak.

Tim....

Chris and I have been yakking lately. Because of these conversations I decided to do some more experimenting this weekend on chuck roasts.

It appears when we speak of "chuck roasts" we must be rather specific with exactly the cut we are cooking.

I will let you all know what happens.

Stogie,

This one looks pretty fatty so I am going to try slow and low to get it to 190 or so, but will check it at 145-150 and see what kind of product I have. I have absolutely no interest in making a big ol lump of charcoal on only my second cook.

Dennis, Rich, Brian,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, it is nice to get advice from people that have done it. I think that is why I like this site so much, there is so much experience here to learn from.

Jim M,

Thanks for the recipe, my mouth starts watering every time I look at it. Will let you know how it turns out.

Tim

Het Stogie,

Thanks for taking one for the team, interested on how it turns out. I've never tried doing a chuck roast but definately will try it after your report.

Dave

Stogie, et al

Thanks alot! Looking forward to the report. Going to the Costco or Sam's tomorrow in search of chuck roast. Never done one before..those who have, does it taste anything like brisket?

Bruce....

When shopping, pay attention to the specific cut you buy. I will be using chuck eye roast. Another popular cut is a shoulder blade roast...sometimes called an English roast. The shoulder roast is leaner than the eye roast.

My butcher told me these are about the only 2 roasts they sell from the chuck..the rest is ground into burger.

Just be sure it is from the chuck portion of the cow. Look at the internal marbling....the thicker the veins of fat, the better the roast will cook. I found that the shoulder cut is nicely marbled, but the veins of fat are much thinner than in the eye roast. Also, don't be fooled by the large chunks of fat that you see in both of these cuts...they will NOT render out and will provide no moisture to your meat....my pics will show you what I mean.

I will take lots of picks and post them as soon as I scan them in.

Now, you CAN cook these in a slightly different manner...by foiling in a pan. This will simulate a crockpot and will be very successful. Just let them cook UNCOVERED until they reach about 165?...then cover the pan with foil and cook until finished...190?+.

Let's all share our experiences so we can nail this cook!

Well went to Costco today and picked up a package containing two USDA Choice Boneless Chuck Roasts, total weight 7.26lb @ $2.39/lb.
Rubbed one with a wet rub submitted by Rick H on 10-28-200 found in recipe section, placed it in foodsaver vac bag and put it in refrigerator.
Cooking tomorrow, planning on 1 1/2 hr per pound this ones about 3.5lb. Like the idea of taking it to 165 and foiling, gonna try it, first time I've ever used foil. Let you know how it goes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Any suggestions on smoke wood??? Got Hickory, Apple and Cherry

Earlier this month, I contacted Stogie about featuring one of his chuck roast recipes on the Web site in April. He graciously agreed, so I went to Costco and bought the Boneless Chuck Shoulder Roast 2-pack (I assume the same stuff Bruce bought), applied the seasonings, and cooked it low and slow to 190*F. Also, I cooked the meat in a disposable foil pan so I didn't lose the juices.

The taste was great, but the tenderness and moisture wasn't quite there. This is what prompted Stogie and me to start "yakking" about the specific type of chuck roast to use, whether to foil part way into the cook, etc.

The shoulder roast does seem to be more lean than other chuck roasts like chuck eye, 7-bone, or cross-rib, so if I were doing the Costco shoulder roast again, I would try foiling at 160-165*F to keep the moisture in, and finish to 190*F.

Since I'm still wrangling with the cut of meat and cooking method so late in the month, I won't be publishing chuck roast on the Web site April 1, but perhaps in May instead. I also want to thank Stogie for volunteering to do some chuck roast experiments this weekend, which I think will be invaluable. What a trooper! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Regards,
Chris

I have two small chuck roasts I will be smoking today. Total weight is a little under 5#. Will let you folks know how they turn out. I will take some pictures and post them if I can figure out how.

Alright, Chuck Roast day has arrived. Little chilly here today only getting up to about 45.
Going to try a couple different things...Kitslaar method for firing up WSM(coffee can in middle), foiling roast at 165. Really going to try and nail this one today. Will let you know.

Chuck Roast went on at 11:15am. Temps have stabilized. I think I might have used to much charcoal, though. 1 full chimney was too much for the 3lb coffee can I had. What a brain fart /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Chimney holds 5lb, can holds 3, duh! Oh well, temps are good, any that doesn't burn gets recycled. So far...so good. Talk at ya later.

Update...

2 hours into cook: WSM hummin' right along at 236 at the top grate, 249 at the lid, meat at 152.

Stay tuned, further updates as events warrant.

Thanks Bruce!

I am waiting until tommorrow to cook mine. I got a chance to test a new digital camera....later tonite...so I waited.

Will snap some pics before seasoning to show the amount of marbling and the cuts I bought.

Good luck!

Well I'm confused. My last post the temp of the roas was 152, that was some two hours ago. Now at 3:30 it's 154. It seems to have plateaued like a pork butt.

I foiled it and put it back on the WSM. Temps still good on the cooker...steady 236

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back