Chuck Roast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foiled mine at 165, let it get to 196 and took it off. Total time was about 7 1/2 hours with the WSM chuging along at 240 at the dome. Frankly I was a little disappointed with the flavor. Did not seem to have that smoked taste to it. I used 3 chunks of hickory. For my first attempt at a chuck roast I am satisfied. Will make stew with the leftovers.

After foiling at 3:30 with the temp at 154, I opened all three vents to 100%. The temp in the WSM shot up to 300 and the meat steadily climbed to 195 at 4:45pm. I just pulled it off double wrapped the foil, wrapped in a towel and it is resting comfortably on my cutting board. Will be carving at about 5:15pm. We'll see.....

Final Results:
I let the roast rest 1/2 hour. Not much of what you would call a bark, more of a crust...remember I used a wet rub. It was very sliceable, but not pullable. It had good smoke ring penetration, solid 1/8", 1/4" in parts. The meat was not as moist as pork (not as much fat) but it wasn't dry and it made great sandwiches, with a little Lea & Perrin Steak Sauce, they were great. I don't think I nailed it, but I was more satisfied with the result than I thought I would be. I would do one again, I think I would look for one with more pronounced marbling.
Forgot..I used 1 1/2 chunks of Hickory and two small chunks of Cherry. I thought the smoke flavor was mor than adequate.

Thanks for the reports, very interesting. We can compare with Stogie's cook tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Foiled mine at 165, let it get to 196 and took it off. Total time was about 7 1/2 hours with the WSM chuging along at 240 at the dome. Frankly I was a little disappointed with the flavor. Did not seem to have that smoked taste to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It is probable, you steamed the smoke flavor out of the beef. Wrapping in the Texas crutch has some drawbacks, and you just witnessed one of them. It will degenerate the smoke flavor, and not allow the bark to set up properly.

Jim

Jim M....

With all due respect, I must strongly disagree with you on this one. No way have I ever noticed the smoke flavor being diminished by foiling. I have been foiling many of my BBQ meats for over 5 years now and have never noticed this.

If this were true, why wouldn't the other flavors...rubs and sauces.....also be diminshed?

As proof, last night when doing the chuck the smokey flavor was VERY pronounced...enough that the girls objected. I only had it open to smoke for about 2 hours and foiled for 3 1/2hrs.

Further proof lies in the competitors I have cooked with and around. Most notably the MIMers. Most of them foil their meat and the smoke flavor is still present after extended foil times.

I also must disagree with the theory that using foil will not allow bark to form. Check my pics and notice the nice bark that formed on the chuck..this after almost 3 hours in foil. Now, if you look at my pot roast pics, you will notice no bark formation. That is due to the combination of all that water in the pan plus only 2 hours of "open air" time. However, there was still plenty of smoke flavor. My experience tells me it takes about 3 hours to form a decent bark. I would agree that spending the entire time in foil will not allow bark to form, but I would never suggest that technique.

Just posting my observations from years past.

Stogie,
As far as smoke flavor being steamed out, it would be a matter of personal interpretation. I can smell charcoal briquettes if they are being used a block away. Some people swear there is not an after taste, with me, I can taste it. So the short answer is, "best left to the individual cook" on the wrapping in foil.

My original answer, in regard to foiling and the formation of bark, was in response to the cook using a wet rub, and then foiling. If it did not set up, he explained it perfectly, "more of a crust, rather than a bark". Not the case with you, since you used a dry rub.

That chuck looked tremendous in your picture, sure wish I was there having a sandwich of that.
Hope this clears things up.

Jim

I agree, Jim! Everyone is very different when it comes to taste.

As I have always said.....whatever works for you is the BEST!

Problem with that chuck...it was pretty small and losing half of it only left a half dozen sammiches...which will be eaten in short order! I'll have one in your honor! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back