Chuck roast taco's

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
A couple weeks ago I did my first chuck roast on my wsm here. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...80069052&m=206108272

I decided that I would try it again with a taco seasoning and also doing a low and slow cook. Basically running the wsm at 250* with water in the pan.

My cooker always seems to run hot so I figured I would try it with some water to see if helped. So far I would have to say yes. After 2 hours my meat temp is at 140* and I will foil at 160* and cook per the advise of my previous thread.

I did only lite about dozen K in my chimney. Filled the bottom ring about a third of the way with some hickory chunks mixed in with K. Seemed to take to a lower temp a bit better and the smoke is nice and gentle. I always seem to over do it so I'm taking it easy this time.

I'm hoping this comes out more tender than the last cook. However I read that stogie would cook using this method for 3 hours a lb. With the current temp I can not see how with using foil this is even possible.

I have 20 ABT's going on the top with the Taco Chuck on the bottom. I'm thinking that when I foil I will take some onions and green pepper sliced up to add to the foil. Kind of shooting for a fajita type cook.

Any and all advise is always welcome. Thanks Vince B

Chuck makes the best d*mn tacos I have every had...always, and I mean always, a crowd pleaser. You can add the peppers/onions to the foil, I usually do, but while the meat is resting, grill some peppers and onions if you want that fajita flavor as the ones in the foil will be soft and mushy....add some fresh pico, guac, homemade flour tortillas and....oh my...

Thanks Don. I have the peppers halfed at the monent and the onions are sliced a bit like a blooming onion on the wsm. I figured I would try to introduce some smoked vegi's to this dish.

I'll have to see how it turns out. I have flower shells and some mozz to top them off. I am going to make some rice and beans for sides. Also I plan on whipping up a batch of chipotle mayo to go with these. My girl loves it.

Currently just tipped the 4hr marker and the temp of the meat is 155*. The ATS have been on for 3 hrs and I'm taking them off. Good football munchies!

Thanks for the reply. Vince B

Well at 5.5 hours I had to pull the plug....well not exactly. It is raining hard core here and it appears as I did not use enough K.

My temps were down to 225* with a meat temp of 155*. I open the vents wide open and it did not help. I took a look at the amount of fuel left and I was low. Decided the oven might be a better choice. I really did not want to mess around with the smoker in the rain.

Next time more fuel! Oh well the ABT's were good and hopefully I will get to try these in an hour or so. Vince B

Current temp 175*
icon_frown.gif
icon_smile.gif

I Understand your wanting to switch to the oven with rain going on. I am inspired by your post and am thinking of trying it myself.

Cheers

Thanks Chris. The tacos were good despite the issues I ran into. I would try them again.

The one thing I would change is probably add some seasoning to the final droduct. I still have some tweaking to do. This cut of meat is definitly better than making brisket but does remind of it.

I might even pull it a little sooner and chop it up, add seasoning and then fry it with the onions and green peppers.

The vegi's and the Taco Chuck definitly had a nice smkokey flavor. The one thing I felt it lacked was the taco flavor.

Any other pointers out there? Vince B

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
Thanks Chris. The tacos were good despite the issues I ran into. I would try them again.

The one thing I would change is probably add some seasoning to the final droduct. I still have some tweaking to do. This cut of meat is definitly better than making brisket but does remind of it.

I might even pull it a little sooner and chop it up, add seasoning and then fry it with the onions and green peppers.

The vegi's and the Taco Chuck definitly had a nice smkokey flavor. The one thing I felt it lacked was the taco flavor.

Any other pointers out there? Vince B </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pulled beef tacos aren't the same as ground beef tacos. If you want ground beef tacos you'll need to use ground beef and fry it up.
icon_smile.gif

Your taco seasoning mix might not survive the low 'n slow but you might still choose to use it if you like the bark it makes. What you might do to bump the flavor rather than fry and boil your pulled meat is mix up a little lime and/or lemon juice, some rended beef fat from the foil along with fresh garlic, granulated onion, pepper, cumin, perhaps some ground chiles like New Mexico possibly a bit of sugar. Splash this on and mix it through the pulled meat.

I've never used "taco seasoning" in any mexican food that I've ever made. If you are making tacos all you need for seasoning is to add lettuce, maybe some shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, and some kind of salsa on top of the meat in the tortilla shell. Taco seasoniong?...we don't need no stinking taco seasoning..... Pulled beef tacos are the BEST!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any other pointers out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rub the meat with your rub of choice. When you foil, add lots of sliced onions, and julienned bell peppers and jalapeños, plus some julienned dried chilies, chopped fresh garlic and a little liquid (say, maybe 1/2 c low-salt chicken stock and a couple T of reduced cider vin.

When you open the foil, drain into a fat separator. Shred or chop the meat (I chop), and mash some of the softened vegs well, or force all through a sieve. Add some of the de-fatted liquid (or as much as you want) to the meat, some of the mashed or sieved vegs (or as much as you want), stir, adjust salt; serve. (This approach works well with a salsa fresca or salsa casera, a fresh salsa that adds counterpoint to the cooked beef.)

Back