Chuck roast for dinner

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
I normally use a crockpot or an instant pot for chuck roast and make it a Mississippi Pot Roast.
Today I used the wsm 18 and it went ok.
Nothing overly great but it was a nice dinner.

I cooked this open pit style with a defuser plate on the coals.
I think it was about 3-1/2 pounds or so but I do t remember.
The cook averaged 280.
Wrapped after 3-1/2 hours then cooked for 2 hours cooked in wrap and rested for 75 minutes.

The rub was a simple spog and some rosemary/tyme.

I did inject it with apple bourbon and some Blueshog raspberry chipotle using one of those little $1.00 shooters from Walmart.
The injection ingredients were heated and my syringe handled the solids well when the point was a half inch or so above the bottom of the glass.
If I bottomed out the needle not so much.

The veggies were tasty.
The flavor on the meat was really good.
The meats tenderness oddly was a little hit and miss.
Most bites were very juicy and succulent but 15-20% were dryer than what I prefer.
Might be the cuts fault might be mine.
I dunno.

Lemmon cake for desert and that’s always a win in my book (y).

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0983.jpeg
    IMG_0983.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 31
Pot roast likes very tasty and with your sides nice combo. Of course desert always helps and Mr. Bean never lets you down.;)

I’m not sure Chuck.
I haven’t drank in years but if memory serves me JD was always sweeter than JB and had that nice oak barrel taste where as JB really doesn’t have the oak barrel taste but is not as sweet.
I think JD might taste better for cooking because of that.
For an affordable drinking bourbon I found Bulleit bourbon to be a nice cross of the two and lacking the sweetness that I don’t care for in a sipping whiskey/bourbon.
I wonder how Bulleit bourbon or even their rye would work for cooking?
I think I will add some more bottles to the pantry to stock for guests and for my cooks.
What is your favorite bottle for cooking and drinking?

I just got a bottle of JD bottled in bond and I must say that it’s really nice! Had not had Jack in a long time and this was, “different” a buddy did give me a bottle of the “special” one a while back and it was very very good.

Back