Chuck Roast Cook

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I've got two chuck roasts on the WSM, total weight 6.88lbs. They marinated overnight in Rick's Sinful Marinad and were rubbed with Home BBQ's Beef Rub. They are cooking over Royal Oak Lump with oak and cherry wood. Went on the cooker at 8:45am and I mopped them with the marinade at 2pm. They are at 165 right now, taking them to 190 or so, hoping by 6pm.

That's good eatin' Bruce. My family likes the chuch roast better than the ribs. I put a rub on mine, cook for 6 hours and then foil for 3 more. They turn out great. I'll try measuring the temp next time.

Looks great, Bruce. Stogie would be proud of you
icon_smile.gif
. I'm fond of a chuck roast, but have never done one on the WSM. Were you following Stogie's recipe ?

Paul

How'd they turn out? they are looking good.

I like doing chuck roasts. However, question for you... I find they are greasier than pulled pork. How do you counter it? next time I'll do a sauce with more acid in it (vinegar or citris) to cut the fat.

Anyhow, let us know how long it ends up taking. I find my chuck roasts take between 2.5 to 3 hours per pound.

Here's a chuck roast thread by one of the "legends of TVWB" who apparently is still punishing us by not posting
icon_smile.gif
. It may give you a little further info till Bruce responds.

Paul

Paul G,

Well I guess I should have read Stogie's piece more carefully, especially about disregarding internal temps of the meat.

I took the meat to 186, they both felt tender on the cooker, wrapped them in foil, and allowed them to rest in a cooler for 90 minutes.

They were very tough and stringy, not tender at all compared to pork. Not a happy WSM'er right now. Anyway we managed 3 sandwiches out them and I "chucked" the rest.

OH WELL, live and learn.

While a chuck roast is a great piece of meat, I'm not sure it's worth it to me to cook a 3 lb roast for 9 1/2 hours, which includes 2 1/2 hours in foil. I knew there was a good reason I kept my crockpots
icon_smile.gif
- which I actually do enjoy using ! If you brown one in a CI skillet, drain the fat and then cook in a crockpot with potatoes, onions, celery, carrots... whatever, you've got a great one pot meal.

Paul

Bruce - sorry to hear it didn't turn out as expected. I take my chucks up past 195, to try and get rid of some of the greasiness. I've really enjoyed them, but they are definitely a different animal (punny, I know) than butts.

Don't "chuck" it away, though!!!! That is good - no, great - fodder for chili, my friend. The stringiness goes away when it is stewed in chili!

As a frequent follower of Stogie's chuck roast recipe, I can tell you it is more than worth the wait.

Put a couple on under a pork butt or two. The resulting shredded beef is out of this world.

Worth the wait??? I don't want to come off as a jerk, but other than checking the temp every now and then, my WSM is set it and forget it. This is one of the simplest cooks I've done. It's well worth the 9 hours.

Bruce - I've only done it the way Stogie said (6 hours then 3 hours in foil) and it's been great. Sorry your's didn't turn out. Try it again.

A while back I had to prepare the post-meeting "snack" for a service organization I belong to. I WSM'd 2 chuck roast to the falling apart stage, shredded the meat, mixed with a can of commercial "Sloppy Joe" sauce. Ten guys ate six pounds of meat that night.

A bunch asked me for the recipe later, but couldn't get past the "smoke chuck roast on WSM for nine hours". They thought I was kidding!

A good Chuck is well worth the long cook. For those unfamiliar, think beef version of a pork butt.

The last one I did was a 6.5 lb Chuck Eye Round my butcher cut for me. After 14 hours I foiled it for about 3 hours, then tightened it up with another hour out of the foil. If I recall, Stogie recommends 3 hrs/lb regardless of meat temp. Mine was close to the 3 hr/lb, but when I unwrapped it to tighten up, it was falling apart. I put the pieces on the grate, and after an hour of the wonderful aroma it was time to eat.

I did everything over a Kingsford/lump blend and a combo of almond/mesquite. The result? Pulled pork tenderness with a beefy delicious flavor.

I would also add that if you're a beef lover frustrated by the complexities of the brisket, give a nice chuck a try. It really is "pork butt easy."

Back