Chuck - how do you serve it?

DavidT.

TVWBB Member
Hi Folks,

With the current obsession with chuck roasts, I thought I would throw this question out there...

When I do pulled pork, I ALWAYS pull the pork and then mix it with a simple sauce made with left over juices, apple cider vinegar, white sugar, white pepper and cayenne. It ends up very moist and wet thanks to the cut of meat and this sauce. I will then either eat it as is, or top it with some coleslaw, or bbq sauce on a sandwich.

My question is for pulled chuck - how do you guys serve it? I know some of the rub from the bark gets mixed in, but do most of you do a sauce to moisten it up a bit or add some more flavour? How do you serve it?

While you can serve it similar to PP (I usually skip the coleslaw for PB), our absolutely favorite way is to use PB for tacos. I do all the trimmings (pico, guac, roasted tomato/chili sauce, lettuce, cheese, etc.), homemade tortillas if I have the time. These make the most outstanding tacos I have ever had...truly a party in your mouth.

I usually eat it like a typical pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. I've never pulled beef.

I just did some and well I just added a little sauce and a slice of provolone or cayenne pep. cheese tosted on a onion roll. that was nice.

My favorite thing that we did a while back was to smoke the chuck like normal, but I made some naan bread to go with it, and then ate the chuck and naan almost like a pita with slaw, my bbq sauce, and the beef, and that was pretty much as good as it gets. The homemade naan is absolutely wonderful, and surprisingly easy to do, plus its FAST, takes about 3 mins to bake.

So most don't seem to mix it with a sauce, but use it as an ingredient for a dish (e.g. tacos) compared with pulled pork which seems to mostly be eating as is (slapped on a bun with some sauce or coleslaw)...

I put 16 pounds of beautiful chuck on the smoker about an hour ago.

Will save in 2 different batches. With one, will pull and mix in a fair amount of the rub. Makes it nice and spicy with great flavor. Will use that meat as a main dish for dinners.

Then will just pull and seal some without adding extra rub. Will use that in fajitas, casseroles, and a taco soup that my wife makes and is amazing. The meat still has a great smoky beef flavor but doesn't overpower the dish it's mixed in.

Love doing chuck rolls. Definitely the most versatile thing I smoke.

I usually partially defat the foil juices and mix it back in with the pulled beef. I add some rub and up the salt level if necessary. Then served in buns with Bryan's Chipotle Mayo, bbq sauce and mustard sauce offered on the side.

But I've done other things with it, like chili, BBQ Beef and Barley Soup

2008-11-13a001.jpg

and don't forget Beef Larichiladas (named after Larry
icon_biggrin.gif
)

2009-02-05a035.jpg

Back