chuck cook question please respond soon!

G Rose

TVWBB Member
I have 6 pound chuck roll that has been in my smoker for about 16 hours at about 225 grate. I have done a few of these they have always taken atleast three hours a pound and I have always taken them off around 190 internal. so it is acouple of hours earlier then my quickest results and the internal is 173. when i stick a bamboo skewer through it it offers no real resistence is it possible that it is done already even with that low of a temp?

I haven't ever seen a chuck roll that small. My first chuck roll was 24 pounds and took 24 hours. I have had 16 pounders go 22 hours. I see absolutely no reason why a 6 pounder would go 16 hours.

Seeing the time you posted you have probobly already done something. The only thing I can think of is wrap it in foil.

I've never had chuck take anywhere near 3 hours/lb--but I don't cook at 225.

Regardless, 'done' is done irrespective of temp. Temp doesn't determine done when barbecuing, time does. If it's tender it's done.

Hope you're having a great meal!

thanks for the input I foiled and let go a little longer. I just wanted to make sure it was pullable. It came out really good there was one piece of muscle that was dry but the rest was very moist. when allmixed together it was great. I'll be making chili with the rest of it tonight.

Back