Christmas Ornaments

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
Tried my hand at moinkes which I have renamed Christmas Ornaments for today. I prepped them last night and then threw them on the WSM this morning for 2 hours at around 275ish. Here are the pictures.

IMG_6642_zps3c5283a7.jpg

Meatloaf mix (pre-made at butcher counter), ground italian sausage, cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, apple smoked bacon.

IMG_6646_zps345a6d09.jpg

meat mixed and spiced with leftover BRITU rub. Time to make some meatballs.

IMG_6647_zps2fc7bd88.jpg

Here they are in their evening jackets. Just covered them with wrap and put them away for the night. Made the cook today a really easy deal.

IMG_6648_zps17d93363.jpg

Lid going down. 3/4 chimney of KF, no water in pan, vents at 75% open below. Didn't break out the thermometer but I would guess it started high and ended up around 275 for the entire 2 hours.

IMG_6651_zpsdd877693.jpg

They are done and ready to take to the in-laws.

IMG_6652_zps310540a2.jpg

I just used paper towels inside a tortilla warmer that I bought at the 99 cent store. They were still hot an hour and a half later when we got there. Came out great. I think I would serve in the future with a sweet and sour sauce. Maybe add diced jalapenos to the mix as well for some extra kick. Merry Christmas!

I must have missed out--I never heard of these. But based on your pictures, I'm going to learn more! Thanks for posting M!

How did you keep the bacon tight?

Hi Tony, I have become a bacon wrapping expert since I found this site. I typically buy my bacon from the butcher counter at Stater Bros market. About the same price as the stuff in the deli but it isn't squish wrapped and I can see what it looks like. I buy a pound or two depending on what I am making. I let the bacon sit on the counter while I prep the meat then open up the pack. You want it cold but just a little pliable. I hold the end with my finger against the meat and the stretch it once around. When I get the first wrap I stretch the bacon a bit more and then go around at a 90 degree angle. This gives me almost 100% coverage. at the very end I just sort of rub the end until it is smooth. I then place them on the plate to rest and try to put the ends either against another ball or on the bottom.

I put them in the fridge overnight and that really helped seal them. I have found that if you stretch the bacon and tuck it right it holds well.

Practice makes perfect I suppose. I made bread in my dutch oven and it completely failed. I may post it as a reminder that not every meal comes out perfect.

Hi Tony, I have become a bacon wrapping expert since I found this site. I typically buy my bacon from the butcher counter at Stater Bros market. About the same price as the stuff in the deli but it isn't squish wrapped and I can see what it looks like. I buy a pound or two depending on what I am making. I let the bacon sit on the counter while I prep the meat then open up the pack. You want it cold but just a little pliable. I hold the end with my finger against the meat and the stretch it once around. When I get the first wrap I stretch the bacon a bit more and then go around at a 90 degree angle. This gives me almost 100% coverage. at the very end I just sort of rub the end until it is smooth. I then place them on the plate to rest and try to put the ends either against another ball or on the bottom.

I put them in the fridge overnight and that really helped seal them. I have found that if you stretch the bacon and tuck it right it holds well.

Practice makes perfect I suppose. I made bread in my dutch oven and it completely failed. I may post it as a reminder that not every meal comes out perfect.

Thank you. Stater Bros is my favorite local market near me. I will give them a try. 😃

Looks really good!....I have made em mutch smaller before but that wasent really good,bcn dident get done before the balls were dry...So next time its your way!

These look real good. I have a birthday party coming up that I want to make these for.
If i have it right I take meatloaf mix and add ground sausage. Then take a chunk of cream cheese and a chunk of pepper jack and stick that in the middle of a meatball. Wrap with bacon and smoke. Am I missing anything? About how big are the meatballs. It looks like about 2"-3"

These look real good. I have a birthday party coming up that I want to make these for.
If i have it right I take meatloaf mix and add ground sausage. Then take a chunk of cream cheese and a chunk of pepper jack and stick that in the middle of a meatball. Wrap with bacon and smoke. Am I missing anything? About how big are the meatballs. It looks like about 2"-3"

Yep, that's about right. I made half with cream cheese and half with pepper jack. Mine were a little bigger than golf balls. One thing I have noticed when making these is that you need to use a lot of seasoning as it seems to get lost in the mix. If I did these again I would dip them in a sweet hot bbq sauce and toss them back on for about 10 minutes before serving. Make sure you set your bacon out for about 15 minutes before wrapping so you get just a bit of stretch. It will stick better when you cook...

It's sausage with cheese, wrapped in bacon. You can't go wrong!

I have been wondering about the texture of the bacon here and also the texture of the bacon on ABT's. Is it chewy or does it get nice and crispy? I really only like bacon crispy and not chewy. The only time I really like non crispy bacon is when it's in a huge pot of peas, beans, or collards. I can eat that flaccid pale stuff till I go silly for some reason, my grandmother always saves it for me in a special bowl.

But anywho, just wondering if the smoker gets to a high enough temp to crisp those babies up. If not I guess a quick hit under a broiler or on the grill might do it. Might be cool to cold smoke them, then cook them in a really hot oven.

RC,

Anytime I have done ABT's the bacon doesnt get "crisp". I think you can crisp it up a little if you throw them over high heat near the end, but I think they would be over done then. To me the combination of it all is great and never noticed the bacon not being crispy. Try some and let us know

I made these today and they were a big hit. The bacon cooked up nice. The combinations seem endless. Looking forward to trying all of them. I'm seeing jalapenos in the future mix.

Back