Christmas Eve Ham ~ 2008

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've been following Michael Ruhlman's recipe for American-Style Brown-Sugar-Glazed Holiday Ham pretty closely with just a few changes. I injected this 8.5 lb ham vs. just brine/cure and I added some salt & pepper to the ham prior to smoking. Everything else is going as written. Here's a link to some questions and pics from a couple weeks ago.

I stayed up too late last night
icon_rolleyes.gif
and didn't get up until just before 7 this morning so I got a late start but I decided I wasn't going to rush it .. If dinner's late, then Santa can have a snack with us when he drops by.
icon_biggrin.gif

Got the dog walked and the smoker up to temp (200º), then put the ham on at 7:35 am.

After 2 hours, I pulled the ham to apply the 1st glaze application and put it back on for the duration.

Pulling after 2 hours..

And put back on after glaze..

Here, I checked the temp with a Thermapen to verify my Nu-Temp. 9 hours in at 200º, ham is at 140º. Got a few more hours.....

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Bill

15.gif

Hey Bill that ham looks awesome-yumO! I was planning on cooking mine today, but the weather did me in, so I'll do it tomorrow. By then I will be able to get to the WSM and the other grills.

The rain is taking care of what I need a new snow blower for.

The ham is looking fantastic Bill. Are you going to cool down the ham, fridge it, then reheat for Christmas dinner, or was this for Eve dinner? Keep the pics coming.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
The ham is looking fantastic Bill. Are you going to cool down the ham, fridge it, then reheat for Christmas dinner, or was this for Eve dinner? Keep the pics coming.
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ruhlman says to let it cool, refrigerate it and then reheat it. I planned to eat it warm this evening but I didn't get an early enough start, soooooo.... Reheat for Christmas it is. Hmmmmmm .. Ham and eggs for breffus?
icon_wink.gif

Here's a few more pics. I pulled the ham at 10:35 pm, 15 hours after the start. Ham was at 154º. Close enough for me. I tried a piece and it's quite good. A bit dry, being an outside piece so I cut a little further in and that was much better. Without completing Ruhlman's instructions, I cannot give a final assessment butt, I can say, I will NOT buy a pre-smoked ham from the grocery store again!

Bill

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Most excellent looking pig leg you cured and cooked there Bill. I'll bet it tastes as good as it looks. Great job!
icon_cool.gif

Bill,

Absolutely beautiful ham, and thanks for the link. I’m going to have to do one of those. When you cut into it, please take a picture for us.

Chuck

Thanks, guys. I cut the ham off the bone today mostly in muscle sections and will slice it up tomorrow morning for vac packing. This ham was excellent and like I said before, I won't be buying another pre-cured/smoked ham from the grocer again!

Bill

Bill,

You mention checking your "Nu Temp" but I assumed from looking at your pictures that you were using the Maverick. Does Nu Temp make one like the Maverick that lets you track the temp on both the smoker and the meat at the same time?

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Bill,

You mention checking your "Nu Temp" but I assumed from looking at your pictures that you were using the Maverick. Does Nu Temp make one like the Maverick that lets you track the temp on both the smoker and the meat at the same time?

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, I don't own a Maverick. One receiver can cycle through (display) 3 different transmitters. Each transmitter has it's own internal thermistor, too, and when the probe isn't inserted, it displays/transmits it's internal temperature. Here's the model I have.

HTH,

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Here's the model I have. Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use the same as Bill, Love em.
icon_wink.gif

Sammies are awesome! Rye bread with Webers mustard and Miracle Whip, fresh cracked pepper, 3 layers of sliced ham and swiss cheese (each layer consists of 2 slices), and a little lettuce. My vegetarian daughter had to have the 1st bite!
icon_biggrin.gif
Don't forget a tall glass of ice cold milk!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't forget a tall glass of ice cold milk! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Milk? That looks like a perfect match for a nice cold beer!

Great pics - thanks Bill,

Ray

Hey Bill - thanks for sharing the experience and pics. Gives me incentive to give this a shot soon. That ham sure looks great. Thinking of trying one of these for Easter dinner if not before.

Back