Christmas dinner?

<shrug> I don't see anything wrong with the vendor advertising the item at that price. It's a bigger question if anyone will actually pay the price. I sure won't be.

I'm probably an outlier, I really don't care for the super fat meat. Both my g/f & I prefer the leaner cuts, especially filet mignon. I generally won't order ribeyes or T-bones in a restaurant. I'll leave it at historically bad personal side effects, as well as just preferring the flavor of lean cuts.

<shrug> I don't see anything wrong with the vendor advertising the item at that price. It's a bigger question if anyone will actually pay the price. I sure won't be.

I'm probably an outlier, I really don't care for the super fat meat. Both my g/f & I prefer the leaner cuts, especially filet mignon. I generally won't order ribeyes or T-bones in a restaurant. I'll leave it at historically bad personal side effects, as well as just preferring the flavor of lean cuts.
Historically bad? you have my interest!

It's the Gold grade which is supposed to be the best for American waygu.
Our nephew buys raffle tickets thru his hunting & fishing club and he won one of those.
He was scared of cooking it but did Sous vide and a quick broil.
He cut me off one piece raw for fathers day. my Son made it for us. That one piece was so rich and buttery it easily was enough for 6 of us.

Last edited:
I have not ever been a fan of green bean casserole! I’ve tried doing it with hand made soup stuff and deep fried shallots. Lots of work for no significant improvement.
Good Brussels sprouts, sautéed green beans with crispy slivers of garlic perfectly baked potatoes! Beautiful Cabernet with 25 year old Armagnac for dessert…burp!
Uh, sorry, I have also never been much of a fan of GB casserole. It’s part of my childhood, as are other recipes I recall from ’the old country’, in the cereal city, which typically started with two cans of cream of mushroom or other soup, and all downhill from there. INcluding tuna - noodle casserole, which my mom forgot to add the tuna one time. Ugh.

We DID make a GB casserole years ago from Cooks Ill., fresh GB, lots of fresh mushrooms, made a cream sauce, we had to add onions and GARLIC, it was certainly OK. My mother in law, since passed, was a good sport and ate it, but she really liked the original all-cans version.

Yep, anything veggie that’s grill-roasted, like Brussels sprouts, heck yes!!!

and now I see Costco has waygu beef 12lb roast for $800, if I read it right. Still not enthused enuff to buy it.

I understand the price. I was looking at a $1000 dinner bill a few days ago. I eventually got over the idea. It's just I don't like anyone well enough for $1800. I'm gonna need more time to think about how well I like someone for $1800.

For dinner on the Eve, it was just me and my wife, so I found some American Wagyu ribeyes at Costco. I grilled them on my komado using a super hot mesquite charcoal lump and some big chunks of mesquite wood. The sear took about a minute a side, twice, then they were moved over to the side of the fire and allowed indirect heat and lots of mesquite smoke. Her's got pulled when the internal showed about 85-90F, mine at around 110F, foil covered on a plate for about 10 mins, to a perfect rare for her, and med-rare for me. I made a dipping sauce from simmering; beef stock, rub, Dales Steak sauce (mostly soy), worchestershire, and Franks Hot Sauce. She made baked taters and pan saute'd Brussells sprouts. Great meal. First time cooking Wagyu for me.

Back