Christmas cook: lessons learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Two butts, started at 7:00 a.m. Christmas day, cooked until 8:30 p.m.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't assume that your shaker has Texas Rib Rub in it, just because that's what you filled it with. Especially if your wife dumps an unknown quantity of cumin in the shaker so she can use the container for something else.
2. A 20-lb bag of briquettes doesn't last nearly as long in a cold December wind as it did in those gentle July breezes.
3. Make sure the family knows that dinner time is "whenever it gets done". Otherwise you may end up taking one butt off the smoker early, forcing you to chop the meat (since it isn't yet ready for pulling), and resulting in a less-than-ideal result.
4. It is possible to remove part of the butt early (see #3) to satisfy complaining family members, and return the rest (wrapped in foil) to complete cooking.
5. Q'ing in the winter is almost as much fun as in the summer. Just substitute hot cider for cold beer.

Happy new year to all!
icon_smile.gif

Larry,
Where's the pic's????
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 4. It is possible to remove part of the butt early (see #3) to satisfy complaining family members, and return the rest (wrapped in foil) to complete cooking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree about Q'ing in the winter time, I actually think it is more fun because it is more challenging!

No pics at this time. I'm serving the bbq, along with a deep fried turkey, for New Year's Day. Maybe I can get some pics of my relatives, or at least the picked-clean turkey carcass after they get finished with it.
icon_biggrin.gif

I did an herb encrusted 8 pound standing rib with mustard, horseradish, fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, sweet marjarom, & pepper.
The "crust" got a little dry and dark. The whole thing lifted right off after I took the meat off. I think I'll skip the herbs abd next time and just go with a straight oil / ground pepper combo, and rub it with fresh garlic the next time (upon some advice by someone in the bbqforum).

It was at 350-75 for no more than 2 hours ... the meat came out nice and rare to med rare.
I just didn't like the way the crust fell off ... Thoughts?

Larry, don't forget the oven if you run out of fuel...also some will foil tho I haven't tried it.

My lesson this year..........Just because I got back from Iraq in time for the holiday's........I shouldn't have gone to New Mexico and spend it with the other half's family...especially her mean old grandmother. LOL. Now that was a miserable vacation. Bad food....bad company....cold weather.....least they had cold beer. I did bring back some fresh chili's and some dried chilis from NM. Got'em at a roadside stand up in the mountains.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry D.:
Two butts, started at 7:00 a.m. Christmas day, cooked until 8:30 p.m.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't assume that your shaker has Texas Rib Rub in it, just because that's what you filled it with. Especially if your wife dumps an unknown quantity of cumin in the shaker so she can use the container for something else.
2. A 20-lb bag of briquettes doesn't last nearly as long in a cold December wind as it did in those gentle July breezes.
3. Make sure the family knows that dinner time is "whenever it gets done". Otherwise you may end up taking one butt off the smoker early, forcing you to chop the meat (since it isn't yet ready for pulling), and resulting in a less-than-ideal result.
4. It is possible to remove part of the butt early (see #3) to satisfy complaining family members, and return the rest (wrapped in foil) to complete cooking.
5. Q'ing in the winter is almost as much fun as in the summer. Just substitute hot cider for cold beer.

Happy new year to all!
icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattJ:
My lesson this year..........Just because I got back from Iraq in time for the holiday's........I shouldn't have gone to New Mexico and spend it with the other half's family...especially her mean old grandmother. LOL. Now that was a miserable vacation. Bad food....bad company....cold weather.....least they had cold beer. I did bring back some fresh chili's and some dried chilis from NM. Got'em at a roadside stand up in the mountains.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a powerful statement, I would have figgured anywhere would be better than being in Iraq right now. Glad you are back safe. You back for a while of just the holidays?

Thanks Chris,

Nah.......Iraq sucked butt...and I don't mean pork butt.

Yep.....just a slight angry issue on my part....angry at myself LOL. I don't get along with my wife's grandmother or her aunt. And we ended up staying with her aunt...even though I kept insisting I wanted to get a hotel room. Least then I'd have a TV of my own and could order room service LOL. Not a big fan of the bland crap they cooked for XMAS dinner. Ended up whipping something up later than night to eat.....had to kick the food up a bit...they all eat everything flavorless.

Kind of wishing I had stayed home or taken one of the kids with me to IL to visit my parents for the holidays. My dad ended up doing a cajun rubbed deep fried turkey, garlic mashed tators, beer steamed corn on the cob, and green beans and ham. Now that's my idea of good eats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattJ:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a powerful statement, I would have figgured anywhere would be better than being in Iraq right now. Glad you are back safe. You back for a while of just the holidays? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back