Christmas cook for work Friday... please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Rowe

We are having our annual Christmas party this Friday, dubbed 'pig-out day'. I would like to do 2 pork butts using the quick cook method, but I have never tried it before. I have cooked a few butts in true low n slow method, but they took anywhere between 14-16 hours.

Has anyone else used the quick cook method? Will it guarantee pretty good Q in 8 hours or less? Also, I plan on pulling pork while still warm and putting in disposable foil pans. If I reheat the pans in my oven before work, and then put into a pre-heated cooler with some old towels, how long do you think the meat will stay warm?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is a 'quick cook' a two or so hour smoke then finished in a hot oven technique? I haven't tried it myself.

I have had butts/ brisket toweled up in a cooler for two to three hours before. I wonder how long is too long.

Howard,

IMHO...if your pressed for time and need to do a quicker cook, why not chicken and ribs? A fraction of the time of butt and you won't need to short-cut anything.

I have cooked several butts within 8 hours using the minion method.

I cook to internal temp of 160, remove and wrap in saran wrap and foil, return to smoker and bring up to about 195, remove from WSM, wrap in a towel and place in cooler. Stays hot for a couple of hours.

Good luck with your party and Happy Holidays.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonny Jordan:
[qb]Is a 'quick cook' a two or so hour smoke then finished in a hot oven technique?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim Warren described it accurately above. See Pork Butt - Quick Cooked for details.

Regards,
Chris

It makes sense, but I didn't realize foiling it helped cook so much faster.

What is the difference in taste and texture than the long 15 hr cook?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonny Jordan:
[qb] It makes sense, but I didn't realize foiling it helped cook so much faster.

What is the difference in taste and texture than the long 15 hr cook? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>From my experience, the taste is about the same. Just not much "bark" when you use the wrap/foil thing. Very moist though, it will run out of wrap when you open. At 200 degrees it passes the watermelon test! If you drop it, it would bust like a watermelon it is so tender!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[qb] Hey Jim,

Will this technique work for brisket, too? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sonny, as of yet I still have NEVER cooked a brisket!!! I really gotta try it. I tasted a bite of brisket at the Jack a couple of months ago and it was not very good to me. The team that cooked it has a very good reputation. Of course I realize that even the best can have a bad day. I did buy some of their rub and it was very good. Maybe I'll muster up the courage to try one soon.

Just a line to let you know it turned out great. Thanks to everyone on this board; my WSM would be sold at a yard sale had I not stumbled onto this website.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howard Rowe:
[qb] Just a line to let you know it turned out great. Thanks to everyone on this board; my WSM would be sold at a yard sale had I not stumbled onto this website. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I hope you dont sell your WSM, but if the yard sale ever happens, I wanna be there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back