Chops & Steak

Howard V

TVWBB Member
Started to mix my own rub at home. Trying out a few versions on pork chops to see which one I like. Very flavorful and juicy....family loved it.

Steak was a NY strip that I rewarded myself with...cooked it to medium....salt...pepper...garlic powder and rosemary

Attachments

• 20200724_125021.jpg
    20200724_125021.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200724_125034.jpg
    20200724_125034.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200724_125008.jpg
    20200724_125008.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 28
Chops and steak both look great, Howard! I really like the juiciness of those chops. The window for cooking a chop to done, but still juicy, is a small one, and you nailed it! If you find a winner rub recipe, post it in the recipe section (if you care to share, that is!) :)

R

Both look great Howard! You sure those chops aren't from last Christmas. Just kidding of course. :D Actually the winter theme looks pretty good with another 100 plus day rolling in.

Chops and steak both look great, Howard! I really like the juiciness of those chops. The window for cooking a chop to done, but still juicy, is a small one, and you nailed it! If you find a winner rub recipe, post it in the recipe section (if you care to share, that is!) :)

R

Thanks, Rich. I have struggled in the past with chops....either they were too dry or undercooked....that window of juiciness is very small...even when using my instant thermometer and constant monitoring....esp. when tending to multiple cuts of diff sizes at the same time on the grill.

I used a different technique this time and it's foolproof. I cooked them in the sous vide machine to 140 degrees for 1 hour...meat was tender and juicy at this temp...they cooked in a vacuum seal bag in their own juices and my rub seasonings...meat was enriched with strong flavors. I finished them off over hot charcoal grill to sear and brown the surfaces....only took 5 mins or so on the grill.

I also did the same for the steak at 140 degrees for 2 hours. Perfect medium and tenderness.

I am new to sous vide but am loving the ability to control exact temp and set/forget settings. It frees up my time and lower my stress level with overcooking or undercooking.

We just had chops for the first time this year,and were great and yours look even better.

Thanks, Kevin....it was my first big success with chops after many failures. I will only cook them sous vide from now on. My family raved about them so it's a keeper.

The wife and I took a cooking class over the holidays and they used a sous vide. No doubt, they make meat really tender ! I struggle with the purity of it all -- I just want wood and stone, but in a weak moment I could be had ......it's good

The wife and I took a cooking class over the holidays and they used a sous vide. No doubt, they make meat really tender ! I struggle with the purity of it all -- I just want wood and stone, but in a weak moment I could be had ......it's good

Hi Michael,

I also love to fire up charcoals and smell the wood chunk smoke. I can still do that with sous vide when I sear meats on the grill to finish off. It's the best of both worlds for perfect meats every time!

Everything looks awesome! We rarely do pork chops got the very reason @Rich G mentioned, so easy to overlook and dry them out. When we do, I watch over them and don’t walk away as I’m old school and only have an instant read thermometer :rolleyes:

Thanks, Kevin....it was my first big success with chops after many failures. I will only cook them sous vide from now on. My family raved about them so it's a keeper.
Ha chops can be a challenge I have been known to make a dry batch more than once only takes a minutes to long.

Back