"Chopped chicken"

Paul Jenkin

TVWBB Member
I visited a bbq restaurant not to long ago that had what they called chopped chicken along with the normal assortments. It was similar to the pulled pork in looks, but of course not the exact texture. I havent seen anything on the boards yet and was curious if anyone has a recipe on such an item. Thanks!

I do beer can chickens alot, when cooled somewhat I pull them apart like pulled pork, white and dark meat together. I add some Sweet Baby Rays Hot and Spicy sauce. Taste great.

I cooked a good sized chicken on the WSM the other day, over five pounder. I did the beer butt method, only used cola, instead of beer. Got a sweeter steam. Today, I took the rest of the meat off the bones. I chopped it up, added a bit more rub, and some sauce, and heated it. Threw it on toasted buns, and yummers...
I was really happy with how good the leftovers were! Am going to do that again.

Great ideas both. This must be what the BBQ restaurant did. Just smoke the chicken then chop it. Sounds simple enough.

I brine the chicken, then cook it 350 with some smoke. Serve it pulled in to pieces - more than "joinred" - would that be called puuled? Looks good - served with fresh coriander (cilantro?) and pomegranate seeds scattered about.

Andrew

My wife want all leftover chicken for her to make chicken salad. She loves the smoke flavor in it. I figure its a good trade for me, I get leftover ribs and shoulder, she get's the chicken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
My wife want all leftover chicken for her to make chicken salad. She loves the smoke flavor in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, I've been doing the same thing with turkey and chicken. The smoked turkey or chicken makes the absolute best turkey/chicken salad. It doesn't last long.
icon_eek.gif

It is good eats that smoked chicken salad. I also make turkey BBQ with leftovers. I mix it up with PA Posse BBQ sauce. Taste pretty good.

Cook's Illustrated has a recipe for "Best Barbecued Pulled Chicken" in their July/August issue and it has just been uploaded to their website.

Their sauce is quite good, made 50/50 with apple cider & ketchup and the usual seasonings - I made it for my PPP (perfect pulled pork) and we were quite pleased with it.

Rita

Back