Choosing Between Slow-N-Sear or Rotisserie Attachment

Randy G

TVWBB Fan
Hey everyone.

If you were on a limited budget and could choose only one, would you go with Slow-N-Sear for the Kettle or the Rotisserie Attachment For the Weber Genesis?

I know its not necessarily an "apples to apples" comparison, but I always get great points of view from the forum.

Thanks

Randy

Tony makes a very valid point. Which heat source do you prefer to cook on. I myself have both the Genesis and the Performer with rotisserie for each. I think rotisserie cooking is much different than low & slow or hot & fast which you get with the Slow-N- Sear. When cooking with a rotisserie you automatically baste your protein, keeping it moist and succulent. I get more involved with my rotisserie cooks than I do with the Slow-N-Sear. I myself prefer the Rotisserie over the Slow-N-Sear. I hope I've been able to give you a little insight to which might suit you best.

George...What's your issue with slow -n-sear? I sometimes look at it and think its amazing. Then think, I can accomplish the same thing with a snake method.

I'm leaning to the rotisserie.

To me its just a weber basket but bigger. I can make one easily from expanded sheetmetal. No way I'm spending that kind of money on something like that.

I'd go rotisserie for the kettle. As for the slow n sear pile all of your coals on one side of the grill and set a non coated bread pan of water next to it.

I use my rotisserie more than I thought I would when I first got it, it's so convenient! Load it, light it, spit the product, check for balance, adjust if needed and make a cocktail!
I don't really get the SnS either.
Enlighten us if you can Tony.

My only regret is I didn't get an e-z que for the weber ring. I have two bigger ones but they don't fit. Use them in my chargriller.

I have only used the SnS a couple of times, & I give it a thumbs up.
- I like the way that it completely shields the food from the fire, via its solid construction & water reservoir. (As opposed to the open type baskets). Proper indirect cooking.
- No messing around with pans of water.
- I have found that it has excellent fuel consumption. (9+ hrs @ 250f). This was achieved by doing a Minion cook whereby I banked the coals to both ends and put 6-8 lit briqs in the middle. (Similar to the tin-can start up). I had the flip up grate open so I could pile up the briqs above the grate level. (I bet I could get even better results if I had a daisy-wheel kettle).
- Yes, it is expensive. But I do not plan having to replace it due to its rugged construction.

I have never like the Weber baskets. And they are residing in the land-fill. My 0.02p.

Has a water reservoir ? Never seen a need for one. Personally I think water just creates a mess and mixed with smoke can cause a bad taste. I stopped using water the second time I dealt with it. But if yer happy with it then thats all that matters.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going with gasser rotisserie. I think I will get more use out of it. The slow n sear will have to wait.

I would recommend a rotisserie kit from OneGrill rather than Weber. They make a much nicer product for the same or less money.

Hi Randy, Greg is spot on with his recommendation of using OneGrill for your rotisserie needs. Their products are ss and built to last. They have a great choice of Baskets also. Look them up at onegrill.com you wont be sorry you did.

Bill

In full disclosure, I haven't used the Slow N' Sear before, but by chance I happened to run into the guy that makes them (David) yesterday (guy was giving away a Silver B gasser).

All I can say is that a ton of thought went into the design of the slow n sear. He explained to me basically why he built it the way he did, how to make it work successfully, etc. My guess is that it would be a lot more effective than just piling the charcoal on one side of your kettle. The water is really there for the same reason it is for a smoker - to add a bit of moisture, but more importantly to give a more consistent grill temperature.

The slow n sear wasn't even on my radar before, but now I feel like it might be a must have after seeing what it can do.

I have never seen the need for moisture while smoking. Most who use a wsm or mini smoker do not use water. Again, try it both ways several times and then go with what works for you.

Back