Chocolate Cream Pie in a Jar

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
From the October/November 2020 issue of Cook's Country magazine.

You'll need twelve 4-ounce Ball mason jars for serving.

Ingredients List
  • 2-1/2 cups half and half
  • 1/3 cup (2-1/3 ounces) sugar, divided
  • Pinch table salt
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
  • 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 10 Oreo cookies, crumbled, divided
  • 2 cups whipped cream
You can use canned whipped cream, a frozen dessert topping, or you can make your own whipped cream. Beat the following ingredients in a stand mixer at medium speed to soft peaks, 1 to 3 minutes.
  • 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch table salt
Preparation

Place half and half, 3 Tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Place egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining sugar in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking 1 cup of the warm half and half mixture into the egg mixture. Then slowly whisk the tempered egg mixture into the remaining half and half mixture in the saucepan.

Cook the saucepan contents over medium heat, whisking continuously, to 180*F and thickened, maybe 30 seconds. Use a good instant-read thermometer to measure temp. Move saucepan off heat and whisk in butter pieces, both chocolates, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pass mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl. This removes any bits of egg that don't incorporate into the pudding mixture.

Spray a sheet of parchment paper with non-stick spray and press gently onto the surface of the pudding to prevent formation of a skin. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.

To serve, place 1 Tablespoon of crumbled Oreos in the bottom of each jar, then add 1/2 cup of pudding. Top with whipped cream and remaining crumbled Oreos.

Want An Easy Cheater Version?

I've posted a cheater version of Chocolate Cream Pie in a Jar at The Virtual Weber Bullet.

I made a chocolate "cream" pie yesterday.
One box of Hershey's milk chocolate instant pudding, two cups of cold milk, one premade graham cracker pie crust, topped it with Cool Whip.

I made a chocolate "cream" pie yesterday.
One box of Hershey's milk chocolate instant pudding, two cups of cold milk, one premade graham cracker pie crust, topped it with Cool Whip.
Ah, memory's of my moma's chocolate pie. lol Good going Bob;)

Back