Chipotles in two sessions

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
I started smokeing some jalapenos yesterday per the directions on this website. They were on for about 7-8 hours, but most of them were not finished. I HAD to go to bed, so I pulled them and left them on the counter today. I'm finishing them this evening. Any issues with doing this in two sessions?

-Matt

PS: The reason 8 hours didnt' work wsa that my hotplate would only hold the smoker at 138 for the first 4 hours. At about the 4 hour mark, it is like the hotplate "came in" and pushed temps up to about 160 degrees. Temps outside dropped 20 degrees in that period of time....oh well...new hotplate...

that shouldn't be a problem. your primary objective right now is to dry them out. you may get additional smoke flavor, not sure. doesn't hurt to put more smoke in it.

whole jalapenos take about 24 hours for me. I did habaneros the other day and they took 12 full hours at around 160-180 degrees.

Did Habeneros on a dehydrator yesterday. Set the temps at 145. Man, the whole house smelled like peppers. Took about 12 hours total. Ground them up into some real potent stuff. My granddaughter helped me pour it in a jar. We were both coughing by the time we were done
icon_smile.gif

Well, chipotles are all finished now. I haven't used them yet to find out how hot they are, but they look fantastic! Thanks for the info.

-Matt

Back