Chip shortages and the future

IvanTrail

TVWBB Member
I am starting to see rumblings of raspberry pi's return to somewhat accessible to mere mortals.

Is there any hope for future updates to our venerable HeaterMeter based on that?

In the 3D printer world, they have been finding alternatives to the pi such as mini PCs (NUK and the like) also, Big Tree Tech has an adapter for a pi compute module as well as their own compute module that works as a surrogate pi.

Is there any possibility of seeing more kits in the future? I'd certainly like to build another HeaterMeter.

The pi was probably the biggest issue. Its not hard to source the parts from the list on Heatermeter github page. I do have most of the parts to build HM. The only thing I dont have are the PCBs and a few resistors for the button board. I have plenty of the other parts to make complete versions of the HM.

I take it this is why Bryan closed the store or did something else happen I missed? Doesn’t look like he’s been active here for some time.

I take it this is why Bryan closed the store or did something else happen I missed? Doesn’t look like he’s been active here for some time.
I can understand him taking some needed break from the Heatermeter, as I have done also. I think this is more so result of less interest in the Heatermeter, shortages, cost and who knows what else. Covid has taken a toll on a lot of people and supplies, especially electronic components and Raspberry Pies.

Along with all the above, lower interest in the HM hasn't helped. The forums used to have new post everyday, now not so much. There is just not enough new interest in the HM

Yeah I haven’t been on much myself. Just been busy and when I do grill I seem to be in a good place with my HM build. The Pi situation has really been rough on projects like this. Still gonna use my HM, though I did look to see what’s out there. Not overly impressed with most of the options. I’d love to see this project going again sometime with maybe a new update like a different screen or pi elimination. I’ll be in line to test for sure. I still got 2 stokers sitting here from dad. This project really seems like the spiritual successor to the stoker so definitely would hate to see it die like those did.

Unquestionably, will continue to use my HM. Unfortunately, I also can't really recommend it to anybody if parts and/or kits may be hard to come by.

Unquestionably, will continue to use my HM. Unfortunately, I also can't really recommend it to anybody if parts and/or kits may be hard to come by.
That was part of my question. There are literally dozens of rpi dropins showing up on the 3D printer scene. Most seem to be very capable.

I was hoping for a resurgance of the mighty HeaterMeter.

to echo what @KeithC said. I am in such a good place with my HM that I rarely come here much. less so in the winter now that I don't smoke much. not to mention life gets in the way of me browsing the web these days, I like to come on everyone and a while to see whats up.
@John Bostwick do you have any contact with Bryan? He is a good dude and I hope all is well with him. I know that life changes priorities, and that one day the HM will go bye-bye, but still I would like to at least know that Bryan is ok.

to echo what @KeithC said. I am in such a good place with my HM that I rarely come here much. less so in the winter now that I don't smoke much. not to mention life gets in the way of me browsing the web these days, I like to come on everyone and a while to see whats up.
@John Bostwick do you have any contact with Bryan? He is a good dude and I hope all is well with him. I know that life changes priorities, and that one day the HM will go bye-bye, but still I would like to at least know that Bryan is ok.
I don't keep in contact with him. I did send him a message not to long ago and he did help me out with some files.

As for RPI's, from what I have heard they will be making more of them available to aftermarket hobbyists in the near future. The Foundation was mainly making them for the companies that used the pi in their own products. As for the other components, I have had no major issues getting them.

Also, I have an extra PI and I will be willing to let it go for a low price of $200, lol. I really can't believe some of the prices I have seen for them. There is a Rpi 4 model B for $220 on Amazon, thats insane.

Also, I have an extra PI and I will be willing to let it go for a low price of $200, lol. I really can't believe some of the prices I have seen for them. There is a Rpi 4 model B for $220 on Amazon, thats insane.
John, are the PCBs available, either with or without the soldered SMD components?

I just heard about the egg shortage and now there’s a chip shortage. That’s just great. My wife ain’t gonna be happy. Not. Happy.

…lower interest in the HM hasn't helped. The forums used to have new post everyday, now not so much. There is just not enough new interest in the HM
I think there might be a little bit of “chicken and egg” here. Nothing new going on, so nothing to post about? I love my HM and have thought about building another just to get the 4 buttons!

I think there might be a little bit of “chicken and egg” here. Nothing new going on, so nothing to post about? I love my HM and have thought about building another just to get the 4 buttons!
If you ever need one of the old buttons, let me know. I have around 30 or them

Somebody who comes here looking to build a heatermeter with a bit of software know-how should attempt to adapt the heatermeter software image to a Le Potato (which would need an add-on Wifi NIC). If I didn't already have a working heatermeter, I'd probably start tinkering with this scheme.

Back