Chili Verdi recipe?

Bill_W

TVWBB Super Fan
A couple of days ago my daughter took a pork butt and trimmed out all the fat and stuff. About 10 in the morning she started it boiling in chicken broth. She added some poblano chiles she broiled and peeled and chopped up. Simmered it until about 4 and then turned it off. We served it about 6 just warm on tortillas with cheese and salsa and sour cream. It seemed a little bland and in my opinion the meat was boiled to mush and not much chili flavor.
Anybody got a better recipe for making a good chili verdi out of a pork butt?

Someone posted a great recipe that had 2 lbs. of poblanos, PP etc. some years back. I made it several times, twas delicious. But now I cannot find it. Hopefully Bryan or someone will remember the recipe or can find it. May have been Stogie's recipe.

I am not really a big fan of pork in red chili(though I do use a pork bone when making my red chili). But, in a nice green sauce it is actually better than beef.

Green Pork Chili

1 pound Pork, smoked and chopped
1 medium Onion(s), minced
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 pound(s) Green chilies, roasted and chopped
2 tablespoon(s) Jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin
pinch Salt
pinch Black pepper
3 cup(s) Chicken stock
1 bottle Beer, dark

In a large dutch oven-type pot, saute garlic and onion in olive oil.

Add pork and mix until heated.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.

Simmer, partially covered, for 2-3 hours.

If you want more heat, add more Jalaps.

Stogie

I haven't tried this one but it's on my to do list ... I would very likely use 1/4 or 1/2 the cumin they are calling for (start small, adjust up by taste) but otherwise it sounds real good to me:

1T dry mex oregano leaves
2t ground cumin
1t sage
1/2t cayenne
1/2t black pepper
3.5lbs lean pork loin
1/4C veg oil
2 med onions diced
6 - 8 cloves minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1qt chicken broth
10 green chiles roasted
2 - 8 jalapenos
6 carrots peeled, cubed (stew size)
3 medium russets, peeled, cubed (stew size)
1/4 fr chopped cilantro (stems removed)
salt to taste

Cube pork into 2" chunks, mix first five ingredients and mix well into cubed pork. Lightly brown cubed pork in hot oil, remove pork from skillet. Soften onions, add garlic when onions nearly done, let garlic cook a bit then add broth and bay leaves and pork. Simmer 30 minutes covered. Stem seed and chop green chiles and jalapenos, add to broth, simmer covered for 45 minutes. Add root veggies, simmer until tender. Add salt and cilantro taste and remove bay leaves shortly before serving.

For the chiles I'd use a mix: some anaheims and maybe a poblano or even some green bell pepper. Roast them black under the broiler or on the grill over mesquite or hickory until good and black and the outer tough skin has bubbled well. Quickly rinse under cool water then peel and dice large.

To adopt to use leftover PP add the spices to broth, then add PP near the end when the root veggies are almost done (don't brown the PP in spice mix).

Here in New Mexico, chile verde, is green chile stew. Chili is like Texas chili. The above recipe is pretty close. You can use pork, beef, ground beef, or the New Mexico pueblos like to use lamb. Start slowly with the oregano and cumin, a little goes a long way. Never have used cayenne pepper or sage in my stew. New Mexico Hatch green chiles are a must. Never have used jalapenos or cilantro either. You want to simmer the meat in chicken broth for an hour or two, so the meat is tender but not mush. Add the other ingredients and simmer until the carrots and potatoes are done. Enjoy!

Back