Chili Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
It was 105 here yesterday so I decided to make a batch of nice wintertime chili beans and some bread to go along with it. Go figure. It was a huge batch and for a while I thought I'd have to move it into my large camp dutch oven, but I managed to squeak by with our 7 quart. It made for a fun, albeit hot day. Here's the pic's.

4 lb's of meat in this cook. 3 lbs. 80/20 and 1 lb. sweet sausage.

enhance

Here's the rest of the ingredients. The can in front that I left turned sideways in chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. There's 4 peppers and 3 tbsp of the sauce in the batch. Nice little bite but not scorching hot.

enhance

Mixed the meat and browned.

enhance

Pulled the meat and softened up the onion, bell peppers and celery.

enhance

Started adding stuff, beans, tomato sauce and paste.

enhance

Added meat and everything else. Yikes it was close. Let it simmer a couple of hours to reduce so I could carry it into the house.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Wow, this was delicious. Tremendous flavors and spice level just about right. Will definitely be doing it again. It was worth a couple hours in the heat. Hope you all have a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

Best looking chili I've seen in a very long time!
I was thinking about making chili for a meal next week, nothing near that grandiose in scale.
More along the lines of browned beef, and a can opener.

Now I want chili! Specifically, your chili. Always love getting a glimpse of the Santa Maria. I get to use mine for a Birthday gathering tomorrow.

That's taking it to the top, literally. Guess you had some leftovers. Sure looks good! I would be making that in the air conditioned house in that heat.
That reminds me I haven't made any bread in months, time to fix that.

Question, what's in the bowl in the front on the left next to the large can of tomato sauce and did you really put BBQ sauce in the chili?

Last edited:
Looks good! Anytime I make that much chili I'll try to freeze some within the first 24 hours, I always seem to have a little waste (I make mine in an 8 qt pot).

I take 16 oz in freezer ziplock bags, lay them flat on the counter & squeeze as much air out as I can then seal it, lay flat/stack in the freezer, & mark the type of soup/stew & date. It stores & reheats surprisingly well.

Always love getting a glimpse of the Santa Maria.

I absolutely love the thing. Perfect for this type of cook.

More along the lines of browned beef, and a can opener.

Whatever you do, I know it will be top notch and something that looks and tastes great!!

Question, what's in the bowl in the front on the left next to the large can of tomato sauce and did you really put BBQ sauce in the chili?
That's a 15.5 oz can of mashed light red kidney beans Rich. There's also 40 oz. of dark red kidney beans and a 15.5 oz. can of white kidney beans, rinsed, not mashed.

Looks good! Anytime I make that much chili I'll try to freeze some within the first 24 hours,

I do pretty much the same Clint but won't hit the 24 hour mark as I'm repeating the beans tomorrow for a brisket cook. I usually bag them with my vac sealer, flatten as you say and pulse seal them to keep that way. Easier to stack and not as likely to come sliding out the door when you open the freezer.

Cliff, that chili is over the top and looks so yummy. Nice to see some more of your great bread. I think I'll wait for chili till is cools off some. We've been having 103* days so its something simple and cool for us. I do love your cooks so keep them coming my friend.

Way to knock it out of the park on a hot day.
I never thought to add barbecue sauce to my chili before. I'm going to have to try that.

Back