Chicken Thighs

Ben Leyhew

TVWBB Member
Here is a pic of our chicken thigh smoke. We did three separate recipes: one was a ginger honey glaze, the other was teriyaki/sprite mixture, and the third was just salt and pepper. We were trying to nail down which recipe tasted the best. Sorry for the image quality--these were from the BB.
Chicken-Smoker.jpg

We smoked them for 40-50 minutes at 250. Then put them skin side down on the Weber kettle for 1.5 minutes to crisp up the skin. Very pleased with the results.
Chicken-Judging.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
How did you cook so quick at just 250? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, this

at 250 my thighs take 2+ hours to get to 160

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don NICKLES:
Was it any better than just grilling? I haven't found any advantages to smoking chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Variety's the spice of life, Don.

I LOVE some roadside chicken, but the KC rub, safrass-smoked leg quarters my cousin and I recently cooked for our annual family reunion was fantastic in it's own right

...lucky us, too, since it would've been a LOT MORE SWEAT to grill 35 lbs of chicken. We had a big smoker, though, so it was a piece of cake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
How did you cook so quick at just 250? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was in the 250 range on the lid (which was probably closer to 275). No water in the pan. Started the chicken on skin side down for 20 minutes, then flipped them for the remainder.

Once they hit internal temp, we put them on the kettle for 1.5 minutes-skin side down.

I liked the ginger honey glaze the best.

Back