Chicken thighs--wow!

Billy S

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Just wanted to share:

I bbq'ed the most amazing chicken thighs ever! rubbed in olive oil then rubbed with Cavender's Greek seasoning. Seared 2-3 minutes each side then cooked indirect for 25 minutes on kingsford briquettes with hickory chunk on top.

Absolutely amazing!

I got a 22.5 kettle for father's day (Weber)and I am having the best time! Every day after work I look forward to what I can grill! I've had a gas grill for a while but it's never generated this much excitement and enjoyment. Seriously this has really been tons of fun and can't wait to continue. I'm going to do spare ribs for the 2nd time soon, as the first time they came out tough.

I didn't realize (nor did my wife) how tasty these bone-in thighs could be. Very, very tasty. Good and cheap too!

I need to start taking some pics though. I realized tonight that I haven't been snapping any pics of my work.

Anyway, just wanted to share with other enthusiasts!

Congrats on the chikn, Billy. Growing up, Mom had a container of Cavender's on hand all the time...good stuff, so I'm not surprised.

Try some leg quarters some time, too. They're even cheaper...and if you get a WSM and use three grates, you can smoke at least two dozen at a time!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sounds great Billy. How's the skin though? My chicken thigh first attempt resulted in skin with what I call a high "wugga-wugga" factor, the fat had not completely rendered off and the skin slides off in one nasty piece, then sticks itself to your chin.
I've started scraping the skins - removing it and very carefully scraping the fat from under the skin with a VERY sharp knife. A little rub under the skin, then re-wrap the thigh.
Yes a PITA to do, but amazing results, and what is known as bite-through skin. Tip - keep the thighs as cold as you can, makes the scraping a LOT easier.
Mike - Love the Yoda
icon_smile.gif

I've used Cavendars plenty of times, but only on pork. Never tried it on chicken before. I'll have to give it a shot.

I've also never done what you did with my chicken. I always cook my chicken indirect to start, then go direct for a bit at the end to crisp up the skin.

Chicken thighs are kinda like the Boston butt of the grilling world. They are easy to cook, and have some margin for error.

I usually marinate them in Italian dressing or Roadside chicken marinade overnight, rinse them off & pat dry just before putting onto the grill. They always come out great!

Chicken thighs go over great in our house when done on the WSM ... low and slow, toss the skin after they are done and pull the meat for some great chicken sandwiches, burritos or the like.

Back