Chicken thighs, how many fit?

Taylor Martin

How many can you fit on each smoker? I'm getting ready to order a smoker, and will mainly do 30 to 40 thighs at a time, perhaps some sausage or pork chops too.

Just looking to get an idea of capacity. I've seen the online pics but no where around me has them in stock to look at in person.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're going to be in the market for the 22.5 WSM. That will give you plenty of room for what you are smoking and you'll have more room to throw on some ribs or a small shoulder.

Taylor,

Get the 22 if you want to do 40 thighs and then some extra food. You could squeeze 15 thighs per rack on an 18" if you had to.

Go by a place that sells 22" weber kettle grills and then look at the 18" kettles. They are pretty much the same cooking grates, but the bottom grate is slightly small.

Here is some capacity from reason experience between my 18 & 22 WSMs.

18”
2x STL Spares or BB laying flat per grate
4x STL spares or BB in a rib rack per grate
1 untrimmed spares laying flat per grate
2x large butts (9+ lbs) per grate, they are going to touch a bit
~13x chicken thighs

22”
3x STL Spares or BB laying flat per grate
5-6x STL spares or BB in a rib rack per grate
2 untrimmed spares laying flat per grate
4x large butts (9+ lbs) per grate, they are going to touch a bit
~40-50 ABTs per grate

Hope this helps.

Taylor,

Get the 22 if you want to do 40 thighs and then some extra food. You could squeeze 15 thighs per rack on an 18" if you had to.

Go by a place that sells 22" weber kettle grills and then look at the 18" kettles. They are pretty much the same cooking grates, but the bottom grate is slightly small.

Here is some capacity from reason experience between my 18 & 22 WSMs.

18”
2x STL Spares or BB laying flat per grate
4x STL spares or BB in a rib rack per grate
1 untrimmed spares laying flat per grate
2x large butts (9+ lbs) per grate, they are going to touch a bit
~13x chicken thighs

22”
3x STL Spares or BB laying flat per grate
5-6x STL spares or BB in a rib rack per grate
2 untrimmed spares laying flat per grate
4x large butts (9+ lbs) per grate, they are going to touch a bit
~40-50 ABTs per grate

Hope this helps.
What does ABTs stand for? And thanks for this information.

Man, that’s a hard question! How often will you do 40 thighs? What else will you be doing in between the thigh cooks? How many do you cook for most often? Commercial or personal use?
Riser racks can be fashioned to fit between stock racks as well, not difficult but, require some thought when loading.
The fuel consumption is something you may want to put in the equation as well, the 22 is a hungry beast. I had one but, could not justify fuel to consumer ratio. Most of the time it’s just for 6-8 on weekends or holidays with the expanded numbers to 15-20. The 18 has proven the perfect size for us.
Just some things to consider.
Only you can make the final decision.

Back