Chicken Skin Rubbery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
Getting ready for the Firehouse BBQ in Kings Mountain, NC. Practicing my
chicken and once again, I find the skin not to my liking. Also, I did a
brine for 10 hours and was not so sure about the texture of the meat either.
Here is what I did. My goal was crisp, edible skin, so I was cooking at
pretty high temps.

Brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbl black peppercorns
5 arbol chilies, broken in half to allow the liquid to get at the seeds and
membrane
1 gallon of water.
Boiled the brine, then cooled it overnight before placing the chicken pieces
in it.

Brined for 10 hours, in the refrigerator (37 degrees?)

Drained chicken, air dried in fridge for 2 hours.

Lightly painted with mustard sauce:
5 tbl mustard
1 tbl honey
couple dashes of habanero sauce (unsure of concentration, xmas gift)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Sprinkled chicken pieces with Rudy's Rub (a BBQ joint in San Antonio), which
clearly has peppercorns, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and salt, along with other
unknown spices

Fired up my Weber Kettle, with a half chimney of Kingsford charcoal, divided
into two piles on either side of the kettle. Placed a pan of hot water in
the middle.
Brought the temperature up to 350 degrees, added 4 very small pieces of
hickory, and placed the chicken, skin side up, directly in the center of the
Weber and not above the coals.

I was intent on learning something from this cook, so I tracked the temps
every 10 minutes. Had a polder probe in one thigh, one breast, and at the
dome. Watched meat temps rise steadily. When thigh was at 150 and breast
at 138, I basted with melted butter with a dash of pepper sauce and a little
ground celery seed (not celery salt).

When thigh reached 170 and breast was 160, I basted both sides of meat with
a little Famous Dave's BBQ sauce, mixed with a little honey. I moved the
meat directly over the coals, skin side up, intending to further crisp up
the skin. Turned the meat after 5 minutes, (now the skin is facing the
coals) Finished off in that position in 7-8 minutes, checking constantly to
avoid any burning.

Took the chicken off, covered pan with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes.

Deboned the breast, neatly sliced the filet, and tasted it. Also deboned
and sliced the thigh.

Impressions:
Appearance - very good--nice glaze, with attractive speckles of pepper from
rub. Dark golden, going towards mahogany color. Definitely competition
material. Faint smoke ring on breast, more pronounced on thighs. Noticed
slight layer of fat under skin of breast that had not melted away. Points 8

Texture/Tenderness - Skin was not crisp!! Ugh, Not as rubbery as I have
had it, but still not what I would call crisp. Meat texture was a mix of
tender, but, did not seem to have the consistency of chicken I am used to.
Almost gel-like. Not a lot, but, you know when you can't see the fibers of
the meat/muscle? End pieces were drier than I would have liked, but the
center 4-5 pieces oozed liquid when pressed. If the meat texture had been
more natural, could have been a winning piece of BBQ. Points 5

Taste - In a word, HOT!! Guess I had a few too many dashes of that habanero
sauce. And cracked peppers in rub were overwhelming and kept coming up in
my mouth after I was done eating. As I am not a BIG pepper fan, I thought
this might be a little too much. Think I will sift the rub a little to get
out the bigger pieces of pepper. Aside from the hot, it was sweet, without
being sickening. I was pleased with the overall taste, except a little bit
on the hot side. Maybe it would fly in the south, (is NC considered the
south?) Points 7

Total points, 27 (taste counts double). Out of a possible score of 36, not
a winning entry.

So, I can fix the heat. Also can get rid of that layer of fat under the
skin. And, I suspect the brine may have affected the texture of the meat
(although I am looking for the list members to confirm/contest that idea).
Finally, I am stumped on the skin texture. I know higher temps help, but I
have yet to find the magic touch. A couple years ago, at a Paul Kirk class,
someone handed me a piece of chicken they had just cooked and it was heaven.
Skin was crispy, taste was sweet/mild hot, juicy, etc. I have tasted a 36,
just not sure how to get there.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Dale Groetsema

Hi Dale,
Looks as if you have so many things to think about for a competition that it might be easy to overlook something, such as covering your chicken with foil to rest it, in effect steaming it a little. Was the skin crispy when you took the chicken off the grill?

Also, I don't brine my chicken for that long (depends on the salinity, I'm sure). I have a copy of Cook's Illustrated "Universal Formula for Brining" on my computer (Word 2000) from their November 2001 issue. If you'd like, I can email it to you if you'd like it for comparison or ideas.

Best of luck with the competition. Your recipe sounds wonderful. Mind if I try it some time?
Rita

Rita
If you don't mind I would like a copy also.
Dale
I agree with Rita too long in the brine, that's the gel-like texture.
I will also tell you that when we have had the very light fat under the skin on breasts they have scored the best. They stay very moist and that's what you should get when you pull them at 160?.
The skin when cooking on WSMs is not crisp but I find it tender and that also can score very high.
I don't think that you are very far away.
Cut back on brine and use the WSM, go with a sweet glaze.
Jim

Dale,

I'm no competitive BBQer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Try brining the chicken for 3-4 hours instead. And you can double the air drying time in the fridge to 4 hours.

BTW, the universal brining info from Cook's Illustrated can be found on the website in the All About Brining topic. About 3/4 of the way down the page, under the heading "Recipes To Get You Started", you'll find two recipes titled "All Purpose Brine" and "High-Temp Brine". Those are the ones from Cook's.

Regards,
Chris

Read my post about cooking a duck. Maybe you can try my peking duck method with chicken. I think the best way to get the skin crispy is to rub the skin with a vinegar and salt rub mixture to thoroughly dry the skin. Let it sit uncovered in the frig for 3 days if you have to do that to get it completely dry. I also think my weber kettle gets the skin crispier. Pulling the skin away from the meat also helps before you do anything.

Thanks all for the advice. I will try your suggestions tomorrow night--want to get this chicken thing down pat. I am happy with my progress on the other meats but chicken seems to be my nemisis, even though I score best on it.

Rita, if your information supplements what Chris referenced, please send it along.

Jim,I was cooking the breasts as I remember how you and Jack did it at the Royale. I had a super sharp knife and made a perfect filet which sliced nicely, including the skin. Execept for the very end pieces, it would have made Dr. Jack proud.

Chris, once again, your website amazes me with its content. I had forgotten about the brining section and was using a recipe I found on fiery-foods.com here is that link
Fiery-foods.com

BTW Jim, this article features Amy Anderson, of Madd Momma & the Kid Fame.

Thanks again,
Dale

I have been wondering about rubbery skin with smoked chicken too. When I smoke chicken in WSM or Cookshack, the skin is leathery and rubbery, but the meat is great. For some reason though, the skin never gets this way when I smoke chicken in my Klose pit. The skin isn't really nice & crispy in the Klose pit, but it isn't the least bit rubbery or tough. The skin is very edible. Must have something to do with the heat/air circulation differences.

Sorry, Chris. I didn't realize that you'd added that information. I should have looked first.
Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
[qb]Sorry, Chris. I didn't realize...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No need to apologize, Rita. There's a lot of info on the Web site and not everyone can be expected to know what's out there.

Regards,
Chris

Dale, I've encountered the rubber skin thing for a long time. A recipe I found on the 3 men site really worked well for me a couple of times:

http://www.3men.com/competition%20chicken.htm

This recipe is floating around on several sites and I am not sure of the origin. I think 10hrs. is way too long to brine a chicken. Using halves I went 5hrs maximum and it was very good. I think the 10hrs is for a butterflied whole rather than halves (still too long from what I experienced). This becomes apparent as you read one version or another of the recipe in detail.

I cooked at 275 to 300 on a kettle with coals to one side and water pan under the halves. I seasoned with a little ground pepper, lemon juice and sprayed with olive oil. I rinsed the heck out of the halves after brining to keep from being too salty. Very moist and tender(not mushy) with edible skin that can be crisped up over the burned down coals before serving. I had similar good luck with this recipe on a Weber gas grill. Next time I'll try it on the WSM. At 275 it is a 3hr or a little less cook depending on how steady I hold temp and how often I peek. 300 is getting up into typical Weber kettle roasting range and that will go faster. This was really good smoked chicken and that is from someone who really kinda likes it open roasted over coals.

Hey Dale,
Try to run the kettle without the waterpan.The drier air may help crisp the skin up.I wouldn't go too hot with a sauce.I use a buttery sweet baste on my chicken and works pretty well around here.Didn't win with it but stayed in the top ten with it.
I will also be at Kings Mtn.What's the name of your team?Good luck to you and see you there.
Willy T.
Willy T's Dixie Smokers

Hey Bill see ya in King's Mtn. Have an electrical question for ya. Have you heard anything about the North/South contest yet?

Willey,
Team name is Big Daddy and the Kid. Kid is my 2 year old daughter (in training). Also will have my two brothers (NJ and NC), my neice from Chicago, and other assorted family members. Hoping to get a banner made by then, if not, just look for a couple WSM cooking away with 2-3 big guys standing around looking confused and hungry.

I am looking forward to meeting you and Rainie and any other members here.

Dale

Hey Dale when y'all getting? We'll be there Friday morning a little than normal for us. Gonna stop by the RV place to check on an awning. Maybe we should bring some mustard relish and hotdogs for you to try, then you'll have the jump on the rest of the guys.

Raine,
Haven't heard about the north/south.Alot of things flip floppin around down there.So that probably hasn't crossed there mind.
Be at Kings Mtn. friday probably close to lunch.You know electrical consults at a contest can be pretty costly.LOL.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
See Ya'll There,
Willy T.

Our logistics are a bit complicated.

I depart Chicago area Wednesday night, after work, hoping to arrive at Asheville aiport by 6pm on Thursday. Wife, daughter, and niece are flying to Asheville Thursday afternoon. We all meet up at nearby hotel.

Friday, we plan to depart Asheville around 9am, getting to Kings MTN about noon? (which by the way, exactly where is the competition being held? Park?

I stopped by banner place this morning on way to work--looks like we will have one for cookoff.

Dale

It is at the Fire Museum which has a little walking track and stuff out back. We got a letter from them yesterday with directions etc, so you should be getting one any day now. If not let me know and I'll give ya directions from Ashville.

Hey Willy got the offical word this AM Spartanburg has been cancelled. Bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back