Chicken-o-Rama for dinner

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Flavored up some full wings and bone in, skin on thighs for the grill.

These are heavily seasoned with SPOG, pepper flakes, cumin, dash of sugar, Avo oil and ACV. Then gently added corn starch for a crispy skin when done, like fried chicken but a lot less corn starch.

Will dress them with ACV SBRs to set a light glaze before serving.

Should be done in around 40 mins. On master blaster at 450°F.

1698371203264.jpeg

Looks great.........is that an inverted vortex I see you using there?
I have been trying to cook jumbo wings for a couple weeks now....have a few new sauces to try out.
I have been informed we will be going to get 10 pounds or so of wings tomorrow.....looks good for Sunday.
I have yet to do wings on the E6........the performer has done its job with them very well but I know the E6 will hold 500 or so a lot easier than the performer.

Looks great.........is that an inverted vortex I see you using there?
I have been trying to cook jumbo wings for a couple weeks now....have a few new sauces to try out.
I have been informed we will be going to get 10 pounds or so of wings tomorrow.....looks good for Sunday.
I have yet to do wings on the E6........the performer has done its job with them very well but I know the E6 will hold 500 or so a lot easier than the performer.
I did the with CBs this time so I could compare to my last vortex cook. The CBs did just fine. Cook temps were close to 450-475°. The vortex might have added a little more concentrated heat but it didn’t matter as anything above 450° will give you that crispy skin on chicken. The wings cooked in around 35-40 minutes and I took the bone in thighs to 50+ minutes so I could probe 175° on them.

The sauce was brushed on at done temp and then each piece of chicken was hit with a quick direct high heat sear to cook the sauce some. Being careful to not burn the sauce or skin.

This was a successful cook. I’d do this method and version again and or with the vortex too. The vortex to me is optional, not required. The vortex is worth a few more higher temp,degrees than the CBs.

All the chicken was super juicy and fully cooked. The wings probed 190° IT and then got seared. I thought I took them too far but the coating I made sealed in all the juices so these were very moist and flavorful wings.

NOTE, YOU MUST FOIL LINE YOUR GRILL TO CATCH CHICKEN JUICES ON THIS HIGH HEAT COOK. LITERALLY THE WSK SOUNDED LIKE A FRYER WHEN OEPEING THE LID AS THE COLLECTED JUICES ON THE FOIL WERE SIZZLING DURING THIS COOK. THE CLEANUP WITHOUT FOILING WOULD BE A DISASTER. THE HIGH HEAT REALLY COOKS THE CHICKEN FROM WITHIN WHEN JSING CORNSTARCH AS A COATING. SELF FRYING EACH CHICKEN PIECE IN ITS OWN FAT.

Last edited:
I understand about the sizzling sound when cooking hot, I have done this before on the E6 and I remember this exactly.
It was the last time I made them and the colour was fabulous.........as well as everything else.
And the grease....nothing needed to be said......
I do however, to make the grease clean up even easier put the char baskets to one side, not the middle like you pictured and I am able to make a little foil boat in 1 piece rather than multiple pieces laid out in a circle..........I have very large heavy duty foil I use and get it from COSTCO...
45CM is about 18 inches....check pic below....if you don't buy this from COSTCO I would say you are making a mistake.

My only question is do you believe there is a big advantage to keeping your fire in the middle vs. off to one side???
I found great results with fire on one side and food on the other....in my E6 of course.

1698418133197.png

I understand the theory of it, but the E6 has a gigantic hole right up in the middle....very center of the lid.....
This may not be as efficient for topping heat off compared to the kettle......but maybe it doesn't matter.......
I have had like I said great results with the heat to one side, hoping Brett can give his insights as well as if he had the top vent on full or open wide up......opened wide up can create insane temps.....found that out while making pizza.

I tend to agree…
I understand the theory of it, but the E6 has a gigantic hole right up in the middle....very center of the lid.....
This may not be as efficient for topping heat off compared to the kettle......but maybe it doesn't matter.......
I have had like I said great results with the heat to one side, hoping Brett can give his insights as well as if he had the top vent on full or open wide up......opened wide up can create insane temps.....found that out while making pizza.
The platypus has the same central top vent and I have not seen the thermonuclear temperatures that I find on the “offset” vent on a regular kettle. I’ve only tested that a couple of times but, I’m not seeing the same results.

The heat in the center (Kettle) provides more space around the periphery of the grate, more even heat distribution.
THIS. my OCD tells me life must be symmetrical. I’ve found this center ring method to deliver exceptionally consistent results.

And I laugh at myself for on my first E6 cook, I dumped a wholelotta KPro on the charcoal grate and cooked the E6 like a kettle. Boy oh boy was that a stooooopid cook and idea. I learned quickly to change my game. The E6 wasn’t a kettle. Enter CBs almost immediately.

Last edited:
Great cook and I really like the combination of seasonings and the sauce, that's stepping outside the box.
I’m pretty sure I adapted my method on this from your KFC cooks. I bought the kfc seasoning and realized what it was. Seasoning with a starch coating. So I modded up some of my spices and adding some cornstarch to the “wet” wings (ACV and a little avo oil) and then coated the wings so they had a nice texture to them. Once the cornstarch is hydrated a little, I then add a little more avo oil and mix onto the chicken again. This sets the cornstarch. Then the high heat cook fries each chicken piece.

The SBRs with ACV is like a Buffalo wing style but still a fried chicken piece. It all plays well and tastes great. And the chicken isn’t too saucy nor soggy. Just a bbq crispy chicken. Go for it. I am sure you can easily replicate this.

Last edited:
This was cooked dialed open. Not up in rapid fire mode.

I have in the past dialed down the top vent to 50% closed and bottom vent to full upon. This mode really drives internal heat in the WSK. Like furnace level heat. JD cooks so dang hot you can reach serious internal grill temps.

My porchetta this weekend will be a runway cook. CBs on each side with the porchetta down the center runway. This way I have even convection cooking around the porchetta log. And a drip pan beneath the log to catch the renderings.

THIS. my OCD tells me life must be symmetrical. I’ve found this center ring method to deliver exceptionally consistent results.

And I laugh at myself for on my first E6 cook, I dumped a wholelotta KPro on the charcoal grate and cooked the E6 like a kettle. Boy oh boy was that a stooooopid cook and idea. I learned quijcky to change my game. The E6 wasn’t a kettle. Enter CBs almost immediately.
I hear you on the OCD thing.....
I am seriously going to encourage you to get that foil......its good stuff and you can seriously make setting up and clean up very easy by cooking to the side.......maybe even get a bit more available space.

This was cooked dialed open. Not up in rapid fire mode.

I have in the past dialed down the top vent to 50% closed and bottom vent to full upon. This mode really drives internal heat in the WSK. Like furnace level heat. JD cooks so dang hot you can reach serious internal grill temps.

My porchetta this weekend will be a runway cook. CBs on each side with the porchetta down the center runway. This way I have even convection cooking around the porchetta log. And a drip pan beneath the log to catch the renderings.

So vent wide open.....I will play a bit this weekend, but changing ideas in the middle of a cook doesn't always give me the best results.....Doing multiple cooks in different ways seems to leave me with the memories I need to remember the best ways to go about each cook.
OCD again with this cook, LOL. But this is the way I do wings often on the performer.....cooks about 20 - 25 wings at around 475....enough for 2 of us.

Back