Chicken Masala

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Gold Member
To be fair, most of this was an indoor cook. Only the chicken was done on the grill. Tasty nonetheless.

Marinated some skinless breasts and a couple thighs for about 5 hours
20220315_201015.jpg
Scored, marinated chicken hits the grill
20220315_201857.jpg

Undercooked on purpose. It'll finish in the curry.
20220315_202635.jpg

Speaking of the curry...added-in the chicken.
20220315_230329.jpg

Simmered for about 25 minutes. Got to work on the naan. I usually grill these but thunderstorms rolled in. Moved inside.
20220315_231153.jpg

Plated with some rice and a couple of papadoms. My plating shots need work.
20220315_234741.jpg

This is an old standby that never really gets made the same way each time. I love the freedom of this cook as well as the versatility. I opted for coconut milk in lieu of heavy cream, for example, and it was still tasty.

Thanks for looking!

My spice blend is different. I use Raghavan's curry blend...deeper flavor imo.

Toast the following over medium high heat:
2T coriander seeds
1T cumin seeds
2tsp yellow mustard seeds
2tsp black peppercorns
1/2tsp whole cloves
1tsp ground turmeric
10-12 chiles de arbol, stems and seeds removed

Pulverize in mortar/pestle. Or spice grinder.

My naan is a really basic recipe. Makes about 12 and takes about 8 hours...dough rises twice.

22 ounces bread flour
About 2tsp yeast. I use SAF
About 2 1/2 tsp k salt
2T sugar
14 ounces full fat plain yogurt
1 stick unsalted melted butter or ghee

Toss all dry ingredients in a mixer. Or do it by hand. I use a stand mixture and it's fantastic. Blend on low speed, then add yogurt and continue to blend until dough comes together. Should be somewhat sticky. Add a splash of milk if need be. Knead for 5 minutes. Cover with wrap and let rise until doubled.

Floured board, cut dough into 12 pieces, roll each into balls. Cover and let rise again for about 2 hours. I then stretch by hand till they're about 10 inches long, 6 wide. Roughly. Then grill or pan-fry them, basting each with the melted butter.

Enjoy!!

First off, you need to be strong. lol If you haven't seen it, it has over 800 pages.

I have book marks sticking out all over it. Have I made anything from it? To be honest, DH just served dinner and I will have to check that out for you later. bye

Well, I have checked and it looks like we have NOT used this book. What a shame. Tomorrow I am going to check all those pages I have marked and see what we can do about that. lol

Tim, found one. It is going to be dinner tonight. I am going to post the recipe on the BEEF site now. Why, before we make it? lol The book was so big and heavy, it was hard to get a decent copy off of the printer so I told DH I would type him up a readable copy here. lol

1648406611011.png

Last edited:
Outstanding looking masala. One of my favourite Indian curries, and you cooked it the correct way. Nice!!
Bonus points for the home-made naan & popadoms. (y)
We love our curries over here, and every year chicken tikka masala gets into the Top 10 of the UK's favourite meals.

Back