Chicken Lo Mein on the Redhead

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Recent posts by @Brett-EDH and @Darryl - swazies inspired me to whip up a dish of pasta......and, really, Lo Mein is really just a Chinese pasta dish! This dish also gave me a chance to use my favorite work and paella burner, my Mastertouch Redhead!!

I won't post the recipe for this one, but I basically riffed off of Chicken Lo Mein from The Woks of Life. I added a few veggies not called for, increased the quantity of a few flavorings here and there, and ended up with one of my favorite Chinese dishes I've cooked so far (I say that knowing full well that this dish may be completely unknown to actual Chinese people.)

Ok, so, first we made some noodles (it's a Chinese dish, so they are noodles......if it was an Italian dish it would be pasta. Believe me, the recipe is practically identical!) This is an egg noodle/pasta recipe, and, yes, I used my Italian hand cranker to make it!

1726453023139.jpeg

Then, we cooked some noodles......

1726453052869.jpeg

Rinsed these in a bowl of cold water, and then tossed in some oil to ensure I didn't have a sticky glob of noodles come cooking time!!

I dissected a whole chicken (on sale for $.99), then prepped the breasts in a bit of stock, cornstarch, soy sauce, and oyster sauce. While that was soaking, I prepped carrots, cabbage, onions, celery, and mushrooms (bean sprouts are great....they come in a bag, no prep!), and mixed up a finishing sauce. With all the prep done, I fired up a chimney in my roadside rescue grill.......something just sexy about a redhead!

1726453285658.jpeg

Seared some chicken....

1726453285812.jpeg

Added some veggies, cooked down a little, added sauce/wine, noodles, chicken, cooked down some more, added bean sprouts, forgot to take pictures until.....

1726453354921.jpeg

....and, my (first) bowl of deliciousness.....

1726453384389.jpeg

One of my favorite wok meals thus far. Not sure I've had its equal at any of the MANY Chinese restaurants I have been to in my life. Even my wife had seconds!

Morale of the story? Take your kettle grill for a wok!

Thanks for reading.

Rich

I could rally behind that. No dark soy sauce? I like the wok hei and dark soy sauce flavor it lends. Kudos to you for making your own mein. I just visit Ranch 99 and buy my favorite brand there.

I could rally behind that. No dark soy sauce? I like the wok hei and dark soy sauce flavor it lends. Kudos to you for making your own mein. I just visit Ranch 99 and buy my favorite brand there.
I really enjoy making pasta, and with a bit higher hydration than my usual dough, these noodles are the same......so, no brainer! :) There was, indeed, dark soy in the finishing sauce.....and I added some (not called for in the recipe) to the chicken "soak". Dark soy and Shaoxing wine are two of the "don't even try to substitute for these" ingredients of wok cooking, in my very non-Chinese opinion!

Still considering a third bowl.....

R

I really enjoy making pasta, and with a bit higher hydration than my usual dough, these noodles are the same......so, no brainer! :) There was, indeed, dark soy in the finishing sauce.....and I added some (not called for in the recipe) to the chicken "soak". Dark soy and Shaoxing wine are two of the "don't even try to substitute for these" ingredients of wok cooking, in my very non-Chinese opinion!

Still considering a third bowl.....

R
Looking good.....
Still working towards some Asian type dishes I have picked up some ingredients for.....glad Brett inspired me and then I helped inspire you!

Back