Chicken Lickin' wing-ding on the WSM!

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
Started off with some wings...

This is so easy, it's almost like cheating...
icon_smile.gif

(linky pic to gallery)

Bill,

I'll be doing more of these...certainly...about 2.5 hours at 240-275...started with just rub, and started saucing about 30 minutes into it. Nice and easy...

Put a marinaded tri-tip on after I pulled them off, and bumped it up to 350, and I'm targeting 125 in the center and I'm around 104...it's almost dinner, I think I have just enough time to catch a shower...
icon_smile.gif

I have 4 lbs. of wings for next weekend, planning to have some friends over...I'll probably do them similar and have them done ahead of time, and serve as appetizer...I'm gonna get some more of this sauce while it's on sale...I'd take a case or two...I can spice it up with some of my own spices...but it's good sauce, and the fact that it's organic is a plus, IMO. If my family dies off this sauce, you read about it here first!
icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately the tri-tip was a disappointment to me. I tried to cook it in the WSM at 350 until 125 in the center, and do a reverse sear, but it was overcooked...
icon_frown.gif

Luckily my wife made fresh foccacia bread, it made xlnt sandos, but it was over cooked and not pink enough for my taste...I was let down. Learned some about high heat though, the lack of char on the outside is the difference between high heat brisket and low-slow brisket. Even though I cook at high heat normally, I couldn't get enough flame to char it to my taste, and had to pull it as it was starting to firm up.

I will take my tri-tip back to the kettle next time.

After it was cooked in the WSM, the outside changed...I don't think this style is what I like...nothing at all like LarryR's, I way overcooked it...
icon_frown.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_frown.gif
icon_mad.gif

As I told my family, it's good to know I'm just human after all...
icon_wink.gif

Wings were a pretty big hit, though...
icon_biggrin.gif

Family liked the tri-tip, but I was totally disappointed. Didn't expect Wagyu, but this wasn't even pink barely...
icon_frown.gif
icon_frown.gif

(linky pic to gallery)

You'll get it next time Alan. Don't abandon the wsm yet for this type of cook.

Try taking it off at 105 - 110 next time. Maybe even 100 before the sear if you want it med. rare.

I only say this because I just did a 2.5lbs rib roast Friday. I did HH, was running 365 dome. I pulled it at 115, sliced it into 2 3/4 to 1" thick steaks and reverse seared those 2 minutes per side. I also let the charcoal and remaining wood get rip roaring hot, flames were shooting over the food grate as it layed on the wsm base. It came out medium.

Todd

Todd,

Maybe you are right, and I should try it again. I was also thinking I should have pulled it sooner. That's one of the first times I've faced failure with a BBQ in a long time...it wasn't a complete failure, meat tasted good, and the sandos were excellent, meat was very moist, slight elasticity to it, soft enough to eat without tearing apart the bread, my wife said she liked it, but that didn't make me feel too much better about it...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Toby, those wings were great, will be doing more of those for certain. They did make me feel a bit better, and they were dead simple.

Back