Chicken-Chicken Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Cason

Hi,

In Chris's Chicken-Chicken he says both birds went in to Ziploc's over-night.

One with the Italian Dressing on it, and the other one apparnlty without anything on it?

Do you put anything in the Ziploc bag with the second bird over-night or does it just sit there in the bag till the next morning when it get's the Mansmith's on it?

Cheers'
Dave

Dave
Yes there was nothing on it (the second chicken) but you could also marinate or even brine that second chiken and use a different rub than the first. He was giving a very good example of a tech cooking whole chicken.
Jim

Thanks Jim,

That's what I thought .... well right now I have one in the fridge in the marinade and the other is in it's Ziploc plain.

We're going for cook # 2 tomorrow but this time I'm gonna only use 1 sheet of foil for the wood and no soaking, I'll try to use only two "packets" of wood this time, prob. about a cup of chips in each.

I think I did get a bit of smoldering like you said when I ran the BRITU last week, so I'll try a bit less wood this and no soaking before I put it in.

Thanks Again Jim !!

Cheers'
Dave

Hey Jim/Everyone !

Well Cook #2 is done so I guess I'm a BBQ expert now!! (grin) So Chris will have to move me in to the expert list, hell I'll bet I can even spell BBQ now.

Actually it want really well, the WSM is a breeze to control as far as tempature goes. I am going to order a couple of the Polders and I do have a probe on order for my Fluke 16 meter so now we're talking measurements!

About the only problem I had was during the last hour of the cook my temp came down from 250 to about 200 because I ran out of kingsford. Gotta fill up that ring! (grin)

The hunt continues for better wood instead of chips so we'll see what I can find. We got lotas pine trees up here but there's probably an easier way to ruin $30 bucks worth of meat! I think I'll skip the pine trees. (grin)

Thanks again Jim, now my only problem is what to try next?

Cheers'
Dave

PS - I just heard from a guy named Keith up here in Calgary with me who is thinking about buying a WSM ... what do you think everyone ?!?! DO IT KEITH !!!!

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Dave Cason ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Cason:
[qb]So Chris will have to move me in to the expert list, hell I'll bet I can even spell BBQ now.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's a common misconception that I control the member status ("New Member" vs. "Veteran Member"). Actually, the member status is based on the number of times you post to the bulletin board. Once you have posted 31 times, the BB software automatically changes your status.

So...keep on posting! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Cooked another chicken last weekend. Little salt & pepper and away we go. Thighs just pulled off. I can see doing a lot more whole chickens. Cheap, tasty, and quick (for BBQ).

I'm trying to clear the calendar so I can cook a butt. I'm a little afraid to try an overnight cook right away.

Had to fashion a temporary windscreen. One of the drawbacks of living too close to the Columbia River Gorge, it can get really windy. I'll need to rig up a more permanent solution, later.

Hey Darren,

I went to visit my sister-in-law in Portland two summers ago. We took a paddle boat ride on the Columbia river. It was real neat, and I remember the wind surfers on the river. It was pretty windy.

I spent two days looking around at Mt St Helens. That was one of the most awesome areas I have ever seen. I could have spent another day up there, I never even got along the southern road, only the main road into the visitor center. Someday I would like to go back and poke around Oregon and Washington some more.

Good luck with your BBQ, sounds like you are well on the way.

Doug

Chris....

I knew that, I waz just kidding about the expert listing ... (grin)

BTW ...if you ever get out to Calgary, I owe you a few cases of beer !

This web site is fantastic !!

Cheers'
Dave

Dave,
Read your post where you asked what to do next and were also apprehensive about an overnight cook. A bit of advice from someone who has similar fears. There are a lot of things to smoke on the WSM that can be done in a morning to evening cook. Try smoking a 12-15 lb. brined turkey. Takes about 6-8 hrs
so you have a lot of time to play with before supper. If they aren't too expensive
where you are, domestic ducks are a winner as they are almost impossible to dry out,they are different and they cook in about 4 hrs. Just some ideas before you/we take the overnight plunge!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back