Chicken BBQ

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
So yesterday I did 13 bone in chicken breasts with skin. Used the standard method full chimney cooked and full uncooked. Waited for the uncooked to turn grey and then added three hunks of apple wood. I also Foiled the water pan with no water. Cooked them at 300 degrees for about 2.5 hours. These had the skin and when I started checking the meat temp with my probe I found that the juices would then run clear and out of the chicken. I found that they were a tad dry. But at the 2 hour mark they weren't at 165 so I felt I had to go longer. I was probably wrong. Any hints on how to better prepare chicken? And how much wood do people tend to use for chicken. Now I used three basically cut up branches and it was almost to smokey.

Though not personally a fan of low/slow chicken, I'd suggest brining or marinating first if cooking low/slow (or lower/slower), especially if breasts are involved. You can also try this as an alternative.

Very little smokewood is all you need for chicken. I use less than a handful of small chunks.

Try a breast internal of 160. Use a tip-sensitive thermocouple or thermistor digital therm, not an analog.

I have a long thermometer that I have in one of the top vents and a small meat one that I probe the actual chicken or what ever other meat I am cooking.

You might want to check the accucuracy of the one through the vent, or try measuring it the grate level.

-Dave

I smoke my chicken (bone in skin on thighs) between 325 & 350 degrees. I take them to about 165 degrees and put them in the sauce bath. Foil the top of the pan and put the pan back in the smoker. When they hit 185 degrees I take them out and put the whole pan in the cooler until ready to serve. The skin seems to melt away and easy to bite through this way.

Back