chicken and andoille (sp?) gumbo recipe needed

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you might be able to provide me with a good recipe you've tried and like. I have access to some pretty decent andoille (dang, I should really look up the spelling
icon_biggrin.gif
) and am pretty proficient at making a dark roux. Thanks!

From La Bouche Creole by Leon E Soniat, Jr.

1 chicken cut into pieces
5 T oil or lard
6 T Flour
2 lg. onions minced
1 bell pepper chopped
1 C chopped celery
3 cloves garlic minced
1.5 Lb Andouille
2.5 Qt chicken stock
1.2 t thyme
3 bay leaves
1/8 t powdered cloves
1/8 t powdered allspice
¼ t cayenne pepper
½ t basil
Salt and pepper to taste
½ C chopped green onions
File powder (optional)

Fry chicken in oil till brown, remove, fry sausage 4-5 minutes, remove. Add flour and make roux – the darker the better but the darker the less thickening power.

Add trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery) sauté till tender. Add chicken stock, garlic, spices, careful with salt as sausage may be salty. Simmer 40 min, add chicken and sausage, cook until chicken is tender. Remove from heat, add green onions, let sit 10 min, serve over rice adding pinch of file powder if desired (do not add to main pot).

This works well and you can substitute meats as desired, I also add shrimp during the last 5 min or so. Sometimes I also add some tomatoes. The combos are really endless

Andouille is the preffered spelling. And in Louisiana we capitalize it,especially in LaPlace!!
There are literally 1000s of gumbo recipes. Therefore there are no recipes.
"First you make a roux". This isn't a cliche. If youcan't make one you can buy some acceptable jarred stuff.
Try John Folse's website for some ideas. We are partial to his recipes as they usually work as opposed to a lot of others. Good luck.

I wrote one for duck here. The same can be used for chicken--just sub 2 chickens, wings and backs removed for stock, the reminder cut into pieces. You need not smoke the duck first but do brown it well, and brown the sausage a bit, as noted in the above recipe.

I always either replace some of the green bell with red bell or simply add it. That goes for anything I make with the trinity. Better flavor, imo.

Good sausage is a key.

The best thing if there is none in your area of any quality is to order on line. Whole Foods sometimes has good stuff and I have occasionally gotten good stuff at Trader Joe's, depending on store and location. Some Cajun restaurants will or do sell it so if one is in your area (and has good sausage--not all do) it can be worth a call.

Thanks guys. I've been perusing lots of recipes on the web (and the excellent recipes provided here) and have one question: I am going to add okra. When should I add it? To the simmering gumbo itself (after stock added to roux) or should I add the okra when I add the trinity?

Add it when you put the chicken in to simmer.

Filé and okra are usually not used together traditionally. No reason why you can't though.

(Btw, filé can be added to the main pot. One just adds it at the end, heat turned off, so as not to cookt it. When reheating, do not bring the gumbo to more than a little simmer lest the filé become stringy.)

Thanks for all the help, guys! The gumbo is simmering, awaiting the chicken and Andouille. It already tastes asbsolutely FANTASTIC. Time to drink some beers and await the guests.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
The best thing if there is none in your area of any quality is to order on line.
Alton Brown stopped there on the first season of "Feasting on Asphalt" and just Loved their stuff. Said the head cheese was great also.
icon_wink.gif
I post this knowing while I'm a huge AB fan, Kevin is not.
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll toss one back for ya Bud.
icon_smile.gif
BTW, thanks for the link. I see an internet order in my future.
icon_cool.gif

No, no AB fan here.

There is a place around the corner and down the road, also called Jacob's, that is worth going to if in the La Place area. They do not ship. Their andouille is different, no curing salt and the spicing is different too, but I like it a lot. Not really for gumbo though, where I think a more typically cured sausage is better.

I was going to make andouille this week but not sure if I can get to it (I'm building a windmill and it is taking time in the heat). Tasso is a possibility as I'm about out.

How did the gumbo go, Phil?

Phil,
Glad the gumbo turned out. It's a lot of trouble and mess to make so when it goes abd it REALLY goes bad. Where in Nortern Cali are you,mightt i ask?In alte April my wife and I drove the PCH from Morro Bay to Eureka and stayed there for a week. Beautiful!
Just to let you know,the shipping will cost as much as the sausage because of spoilage concerns. Only thing worse is no Andouille at all.

I still have quite a bunch of my first batch of Andoullie that turned out fantastic. I only wish I would have used a larger diameter casing, cause its a tad narrower than a normal hot dog.

Tasty stuff though. It made a great Jambalaya.

Well, the gumbo turned out awesome. 3 guys and 1 girl polished off all of the stuff.
icon_redface.gif
(we'd had a few beers, ok?
icon_biggrin.gif
). The only thing was I'm not too sure if I got the consistency right. I didn't use any canned toms, and used about 2 quarts of chicken stock. For the roux, I used 6 ouces of flour and six ounces of oil and used it all. Did I use too much roux for the amount of stock?

Pat-I'm in the central valley. The PCH is about about 60 miles from me (as the crow flies) but it takes about 2 hours to get there due to twisty mountain roads...which i'm sure you found out about.
icon_wink.gif
Not a good trip for someone who gets easily carsick.

No, not too much.

Unlike low-country Creole gumbos, Cajun gumbos are fairly thin, quite like soup. The okra or filé adds slight thickening--well, really, more like some body rather than actual thickening. The rice, served in a mound at center of the bowl, serves as sort of a thickener.

Tom-- Try the traditional casing: beef middles.

Phil,
"Twisty mountain roads". Does that mean the 299 from Arcada to Redding? That was a beautiful drive along the river especially.
Kev is correct as far as my experience goes. I order gumbo in any place that we eat and it's on the menu. I styled my self as The Travelling Gumbo Freak to a waiter in New Orleans once. He did look as my somewhat strangely which was the desired effect. I am partial to the Cajun gumbos of Acadania. It is relatively thin. Most local places servre it with the rice in a seperate bowl on the side. That's my idea of the real thing.

Being born in Breaux Bridge, La, and surrounded all my life by a cajun love of cooking, we tend to keep gumbo simple.

This is the version that many in my family use to some degree. There is no correct or exact version of gumbo.

It's what you like in it, and how you like it that matters.

whole chicken cut up
5-6 stalks celery
2 lg onions
5-6 cloves garlic
2-3 inches of green onion tops
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
A pinch of dried thyme
smoked sausage of choice (2 lbs)
1/8 to 1/4 cup fresh curly parsley
about 4 qts of chicken stock
1 pint oysters

I usually make roux separately while doing the other stuff. I can control the color and thickness better that way. IMO, properly made roux takes 30-45 minutes.

Remove chicken skin. (I usually use chicken pieces of breasts and thighs, rather than whole chickens) Season chicken with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Fairly heavy too.

Brown chicken in large pot (8 qt) in a couple tbl of oil. Remove chicken.

Cut sausage into smaller pieces and brown in separate skillet to caramelize (the oil from smoked sausage can discolor the gumbo).

Add onion/celery to pot until tender.

Add all roux, mix well. When roux thickens add stock in 3-4 segments. Bring each segment to a simmering boil and stir and mix well before adding more.

When all stock has been added, add garlic, sausage, and the chicken.

Bring to a full boil.

Skim foam off the top.

Reduce heat to a low setting.

Add thyme and green onion tops.

Remove chicken after 1 hour for deboning, and serve on the side.

Let gumbo simmer 2-4 hours partially covered.

Add fresh parsley and oysters 15 minutes before serving.

We serve gumbo over a small amount of rice, allowing each to choose the amount of chicken and file.

Note: If I want the gumbo hotter, I'll season both sides of the chicken with cayenne. (my wife doesn't let me do that anymore).

Just my take on this.

I buy andouille in Breaux Bridge periodically but always stop for gumbo and a boudin ball (or two) there.

Family still there?

Craig,
My wife and I travel to La. to go grocery shopping once/teice a year. I thin kit's great that strawbs and crawfish are both tin seasona t the same time. We hit Pontchatoula for strawbs and back to Acadiana for crayfish. Get to listen to KBON both ways!!

Back