Chicken above beef concerns

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I know this question has probably been asked a million times, but I want to have a straight answer before I risk endangering anyones health.

So I plan on smoking some wings and a chuck roast this weekend. The chuckie will be in a foil pan on the bottom rack and the wings will be on top rack since they require a shorter cook time. Should I be concerned about the chicken drippings in the pan?

I only ask this because I plan on incorporating the de-fatted beef drippings back into the meat after pulling. I de-fat the drippings simply by sticking them in the fridge and allowing the fat to separate. Should I possibly bring them to a boil on the stove afterwards just to be safe?

Thanks!

I've smoked some AWESOME ribs a couple times in my old UDS by cooking chicken legs on the rack over them. HOWEVER, the chicken legs were started VERY early on, soon after the ribs were put on. This way there were no issues with raw drippings as the ribs were far from done themselves. However, I don't do this anymore since the chicken skin isn't at it's best after holding hot for any length of time. (The ribs were fantastic though, so I'd think a little chicken stock would be a good ingredient in a rib baste.
icon_wink.gif
)

If it was me though, I'd grill the wings in a grill. The Weber kettle is an awesome wing cooker, and it's pretty incredible how even they cook with coals pushed to one side and wings over half the grate.

Thanks for the links Matt. The first thing I read by Kevin put my fears at ease:

"There is no reason to avoid chicken over other meats at normal cooking temps. One might not like the idea of it but that is psychological, not science. Cross-contamination in this circumstance is a myth."

Dave, if I had a charcoal grill, I would, but unfortunately all I've got is my gasser and my WSM. The crispness of the skin isn't a concern since I plan on deep frying the wings after smoking them. Plus, a local barbecue joint here in MD does some amazing hickory smoked wings that I've vowed to top.

Thanks for the responses, as always.

Kyle,

I had the same concerns, and once asked the same question. I've cooked chicken over whatever quite a bit since with no worries.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle H.:
Thanks for the links Matt. The first thing I read by Kevin put my fears at ease:

"There is no reason to avoid chicken over other meats at normal cooking temps. One might not like the idea of it but that is psychological, not science. Cross-contamination in this circumstance is a myth." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kyle, after reading what Kevin had to say about it I might just do another rib under chicken leg cook. Thanks!....and thanks to Kevin, as well.
icon_smile.gif

Back