Chicago style Italian Beef on the Weber

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I love Chicago's Italian Beef sandwiches. I have been eating them since I was a kid. I am in that area a couple of times a week and have had my fair share of the good, the bad and the ugly of beefs! My family also likes these sandwiches but rarely gets to Chicagoland.

One night I was having a dream that I was making Larry Wolfe's recipe for Pepper Stout Beef. (Yes I dream about food and cooking, don't you?) Instead of the standard recipe, I was actually making Italian Beefs! Now, I have studied how to make these and decided a more simple recipe was best. After all, these sandwiches originate over a hundered years ago among the Italian slaughterhouse workers. A poor working class in Chicago, they brought home the cheapest of cuts from work and fed their families. After this dream I knew now was the time to see if my recipe was right.

First I started out with a 3.5# chuck roast. I trimmed most of the fat away down to about 3#. Onto the grill to slow cook for a couple of hours at 250degF with an internal temp of 160degF. The only seasoning was a kosher salt rub.

120926g.jpg

Next the roast was placed in a disposable aluminum roasting pan on a bed of green peppers and onion with a few crushed garlic cloves.

120926v2.jpg

Remember I said simple? The seasoning doesnt get much more simple. A palm full of kosher salt, a palm full of oregano, a large pinch of crushed red pepper and a 2 ounce bottle of garlic juice. I am going to try this again minus the garlic juice and more regular crushed garlic as the juice is expensive. Since something seemed to be missing, I will also try adding some fresh ground black pepper.

120926sp.jpg

Tightly foiled the pan and back onto the grill for 3 hours at 350degF. Time to pull the oh so tender beef. In Chicago it is thin sliced , but I do not have a slicer and this is just as quick with only a couple of forks getting dirty.

120926sh.jpg

I foiled the pan back up again as I want this to stay nice and juicey. Back on the heat for another half hour so the shreaded meat can make sweet, sweet love with the juices. ;) Then came the downfall. Nasty sub rolls from WalMart. The photo below looks like there is hardly any meat on the bread. The bread fell apart and slid down inbetween! Trust me when i say there is a full half pound on there. We only had 5 sandwiches form 3 pounds of meat. I just need to learn how to make good bread like Gonnella does. Then I topped it with some good Marconi giardiniera.

120926p.jpg

I want you all to try this recipe especially if you are familiar with Chicago Italian Beef and give me your honest input and suggestions. I do know I like the shreaded beef better as it holds more of the precious juice!

Looks fantastic, Tim!

I have done something similar a couple times in the past few months. One sliced and two times shredded. We liked the shredded better for the same reason, held more of the juices!:)

Looks great! I'm a huge Italian beef fan, especially Portillo's!

As for what that "something missing", it could be pepperocinis when it's cooking. I think they are a staple of Italian beef broth.

Kyle, Portillo's has been hit and miss for me. Even repeat locations. I think they are like Buona Beef and mass produce at their own facitility. Nothing wrong with that, but once it gets to an individual store, quality can really suffer. For example pre-cooked meat can sit too long in the cooler or even the hot pan at the serving station. I have made it a small mission to seek out makers of home made, or local/store made Italian beef. Some I like here on the north west side are Paradise Pup in Des Plaines and Frannies in Schiller Park. Frannies even makes their own giardiniera from scratch.

(Yes I dream about food and cooking, don't you?)
:D I thought I was alone....

Tim, you kicked the LIVIN' DAYLIGHTS outta that chuck roast!

Nasty sub rolls from WalMart
icon13.png

I just need to learn how to make good bread like Gonnella does. Then I topped it with some good Marconi giardiniera.
icon14.png

Tim, I'd eet anything you'd make, on nasty rolls or great buns! ;)

Great Lookin' Cookin' Buddy!

Tim we did a Pepper Stout last weekend so we need a break. This will be first on the list for late next week however. It looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

Is it really an Italian beef sandwich if your using Turkish oregano? Great looking sandwich Tim, just added a shoulder roast to my shopping list for the butcher next week.

Some I like here on the north west side are Paradise Pup in Des Plaines and Frannies in Schiller Park. Frannies even makes their own giardiniera from scratch.

I agree with beef sandwiches from Paradise Pup...it's always the same level of awesomeness.
Frannies, I'm not so sure. I've had several poor experiences there and haven't been back in about a year.
The Plush Pup on Cumberland does a good beef sandwich as well.

Looks a-nice Tim, and this is from a guy who grew up in the "back of the yards".
I've been doing the same thing and I call it a "poor boy Italian biff" cause I don't own a slicer either.:)
You asked for suggestions.. What did you add as a liquid for gravy if any? I use a beer, can of beef broth or au-jus and a packet of onion-soup mix along with a few shakes of Wosh.
I use Good seasons zesty Italian dressing mix as a rub and granulated onion and garlic. I save the herbs for the gravy and also add one jar of Pepperoncinis juice and all.

Tim

Back