Chewy ribs?

Mike aka Sewer

My wife won't eat my ribs, says they are too chewy. I have a WSM 18.5 and am cooking at a temp of roughly 225-250 for +- 5 hours. I am basting, turning end over end, etc. All the things I'm reading I should do and I still can't get 'em right.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I do BB a total of 4 hours. I don't touch them the first 3 then add a light coat of sauce and leave them for the last hour.

If chewy, they aren't quite done. Check by using a toothpick poked into the meat of the rib. Should slide in very easy.

Yes. Also, I do not foil my ribs. They will not be quite fall off the bone...a little tear to them. Just the way I like em.

How many times are opening the lid? Each time you take the lid off, it adds probably 15-20 minutes to the total cook time needed. Don't cook by time anyway. Give them the bend test. Hold them with a pair of tongs and when they bend all the way over and want to break, they're done.

Mike,

My baby backs go for 4 or so hours at 275 on an 18" and are near perfect, for my clan anyway, almost every time. The only time I've gotten "chewy" ribs were when the problem was with the ribs themselves. When I early on made the mistake of buying "self basting" ribs, or ribs injected with anything, I always got disappointing results. I'd wonder about the ribs you are buying, and I'd say it's worth ANY effort to find ribs, butts, briskets, any kind of meat with nothing added or done to it at all. Good luck on the trial and error, and enjoy the learning curve!

Mike,

My baby backs go for 4 or so hours at 275 on an 18" and are near perfect, for my clan anyway, almost every time. The only time I've gotten "chewy" ribs were when the problem was with the ribs themselves. When I early on made the mistake of buying "self basting" ribs, or ribs injected with anything, I always got disappointing results. I'd wonder about the ribs you are buying, and I'd say it's worth ANY effort to find ribs, butts, briskets, any kind of meat with nothing added or done to it at all. Good luck on the trial and error, and enjoy the learning curve!

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. Very helpful stuff!

How would you describe your finished ribs. Sounds like your cooking them perfect but your wife wants them fall off the bone. Does she like restaurant ribs? Does she like eating ribs with a knife and fork?

If your doing 2 racks at a time try foiling one rack for the last 2 hours and she will probably love them.

She likes them when I cook them in the oven, so you're right, I will try foiling from now on.

How would you describe your finished ribs. Sounds like your cooking them perfect but your wife wants them fall off the bone. Does she like restaurant ribs? Does she like eating ribs with a knife and fork?

If your doing 2 racks at a time try foiling one rack for the last 2 hours and she will probably love them.

Just keep trying , man. My wife was never a fan of smoked anything , but gradually, (ESP. Since I got my WSM) , she is coming around. I do the 3-2-1 method with the foil and they are usually real tender.:cool:

I've notice when I get the cryovac pack from Costco (BB ribs) they are really thick. After 5 hours they are still far from being done (ie no meat pulling from bone). My next batch is going to get trimmed up to be more consistant from end to end. Any chance your ribs are just really thick?

I've notice when I get the cryovac pack from Costco (BB ribs) they are really thick. After 5 hours they are still far from being done (ie no meat pulling from bone). My next batch is going to get trimmed up to be more consistant from end to end. Any chance your ribs are just really thick?

Could be. I've gotten both. I do prefer the Costco ribs, though. They seem like better quality than just average back ribs from the grocery store.

Doesn't really matter how thick your ribs are as long as you cook them to the doneness you like. I'm assuming you like the ribs you have been cooking and your wife doesn't. Obviously she wants her ribs done more. If your cooking 2 racks foil one, if your cooking 1 rack split it into 2 and foil 1.

It took me awhile to convince my friends, not my wife cuz she's a chickenatarian, that ribs should have a bit of tug to them. I have one very good friend that just won't touch them unless they are fall off the bone, she eats wings with a knife and fork so she doesn't get her fingers messy, so I foil a 1/2 rack for her.

Easy peasy as they say.

ok... but... how do you like YOUR ribs, the way you are making them now?
do you think they're good or do you agree with your wife, they're too chewy?

Back