Chewy Corned Beef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
After all the rave reviews I decided to try a corned beef on the WSM. Cooked a brisket flat to about 167 internal and found it to be a bit tough and chewy. Since it's being sliced thin for sandwiches this isn't too big a deal, but I'm wondering if I should have taken it to a higher temperature for a more tender product?

I did the same thing trying to make pastrami. I don't understand why a brisket should be taken to 185-200 and all recommendations for the corned beef are 165. It's the same cut.

I took one off at 167 and it was too tough. I put it in the oven and took it to 195. That made all the difference. The other one I left in the WSM until it hit 195. Came out great - well except for the fact that I put way too much cracked pepper on it. Dang, too peppery to eat. Had to scrape the crust off.

The reason pastrami only needs to be cooked to 165* is the curing process has a tenderizing effect, plus you're not shooting for quite the texture of BBQed brisket. (You guys did cure your brisket flats before cooking didn't you? Both your descriptions don't make mention of it.)

Properly cured and cooked-- and sliced very thin across the grain-- your pastrami and corned beef should be every bit as good as store-bought.

I tried the corned beef (store bought) and cooked it to about 175-180 and the ends were tender enough but a little salty and the middle was less salty though a little tough. I think next time I'll take it on up to 185-190. My guess is that we may be getting confused between the store bought corned beef and the pastrami recipe that's been going around.

Brian E........

I always use the store bought stuff(much easier), but put different seasonings on it. If you use the store bought stuff, you will need to soak it for about 2-4 hours and change the water every 30 minutes.

I do about 100lbs. of these every year. Early on I would cook to a lower temp....150-160? and every single one came out tough.

I now take every one of them to 190+?. Unless you have a deli slicer, 165? will always be tough. To soften that collagen you need time in the zone and that is between 150-180?.

Not sure about curing also tenderizing....I don't have enough experience with that. I can repeat I have done tons of these and every one needs the higher temp to be tender.

Since most homes do not have a deli slicer and it is extrememly hard to slice that thin with a knife, you are much better off taking it up to 190?+. As long as you don't go too high, you will have the same texure as the deli stuff.

Most folks boil this stuff for quite a while....usually until they can twist a fork in it. That is how they get it tender and I am willing to bet the temps are above 165?.

I've read many articles about curing meats for pastrami, and most mention-- if only in passing-- of the tenderizing effect of a cure. And the little blue bag is called "Tender Quick"... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I fairness, I have never done one with a store-bought corned beef, nor am I likely to, and have produced the best results using USDA Choice flats from Sam's.

I used the store bought corned beef and whatever cure was on that didn't tenderize it one bit. It needed 195 degrees.

Doug....

LOL!! I been using the TQ stuff for over 20 years...never really took notice of the Tender part!! LOL I'm feelin' kinda silly!

I only use it in jerky and sausage...not many tenderness issues with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back