Chevys style chips and salsa.

@Chris Allingham, I think you'll be excited by this.

;)

Within two days of each other, I got a lb. of chips; salsa; and queso, from both Chilis and Chevys!

Here are the results of the comparison.

Chips: Both are very thin, but Chilis is even more thin. So for what they're going for, Chilis wins.

Yes, these Chilis chips aren't good for queso at all. They break easily.

And you still have to be careful with them with salsa, and will probably encounter a few pieces that break off in the salsa.

But, there's something about how they taste very light, and not filling. Which is good, for when you know you have a heavy entree coming up.

Don't want to fill up on chips and not finish too much of the entree.

Salsa: Both are good and have a fire roasted taste. Chevy's is a little better. The textures look a little different, but I think they have a similar taste.

I could be wrong and maybe Chilis isn't fire roasted, but it does taste a little bit fire roasted to me.

Queso: Queso Blanco from Chilis vs. Queso (they only have one kind) from Chevys:

Chevys doesn't give you very much. Feels like 4-6 oz.

Chilis gives you more, maybe 8-10 oz. Plus I like the spinach and guacamole that's in it.

Chilis wins.

Both Chevys and Chilis are within 1/4 of a mile of each other for me, so if I want the best of both, I could do that.

Chevys Mexican BBQ Sauce Chicken Wings: They were good, but not that different from what you can get elsewhere.

Chilis Queso Blanco, chips, and salsa:

P1000097.JPG

Chevys Chips and Queso
(these are their thicker chips that come with queso, not the normal tableside chips):

P1000104.JPG

As for my own efforts to replicate Chevys chips and salsa, I think I'm closer on the salsa with my most recent attempt, but it's still not the same. And I have to work on getting the consistency, I need to find a way to get it chunkier, without having strands of cilantro or onion.

For the chips, the extra thin chips from yellow corn tortillas were definitely on the right track. And using peanut oil was better. However, I think I want to replicate Chilis chips now.

And for that, I think I will need extra thin white corn tortillas. But I can't find thin white corn tortillas, not even online.

I did see Mission made some, but it's unavailable to ship anywhere I've looked online.

I don’t know if there is a Moe’s Southwest Grill in your area. They make a really good white queso that is easily the best item on their menu.

A good friend of mine owns three Moe's franchises. Every get together overflows with salsa, chips and queso. :D

I've given up on trying to make Chilis chips and Chevys Salsa.

If I can't get exactly right, it's not really what I want.

I think I'm closer to making the same salsa, but it's still not the same.

Also, it's possible the chips would be different if I deep fried them instead of baked them, but I'm not sure that baking is the reason I'm so far off in what I'm trying to create.

Have you tried making the corn tortillas from scratch? I think all you really need is masa flour, then you can roll them as thin as you like.

Have you tried making the corn tortillas from scratch? I think all you really need is masa flour, then you can roll them as thin as you like.
Thanks.

I have not.

Can I make the corn tortillas without a tortilla press? Or do I need one?

Rolling pin should be fine, especially since you'll be cutting it up into chips.
I bought the masa flour.

Back in 2012, I made tamales, and bought masa flour.

However, when I put it in the storage container, I wrote "corn flour".

So I didn't think I had masa flour.

When I looked at the ingredients for that tamale recipe, I must have bought masa flour, because it said to use that.

So now, it looks like I have an unnecessary bag of masa flour, since I still have a lot from 2012.

I haven't tried to return anything during the corona virus pandemic yet. Hopefully the grocery store will let me return it.

If they let me return it, I'll be glad to finally be using that masa flour again.

I agree with Joan. Unless you had it vac sealed or in a freezer that's a long time for flour to be sitting around even in a air tight container.

Why don't you keep the new and through the old flour out?
I agree with Joan. Unless you had it vac sealed or in a freezer that's a long time for flour to be sitting around even in a air tight container.

That's a good idea, thanks.

In addition to the old one being old, it also appears that I must have bought 5 lbs., and had almost 4 lbs. left. Which was too much for something being made as infrequently as tamales, or now tortillas.

Even if I kept the old one, I would still have a ton left over, after making tortillas / chips.

In addition to the new bag being new, it's also only 2 lbs., so that's more reasonable.

Is there a small batch thin corn tortillas recipe anyone recommends? I haven't looked one up yet.

Arun, I don't know if this is what you want, but so far, it is all I have. lol

Tortillas

1 2/3 cups Masa Harina
1/3 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt

1. In large bowl, combine masa, flour and salt.
2. Add 1 cup water, stirring until mixture is completely moistened. Add more water if necessary. Form into ball.
3. On lightly floured surface, knead or work dough with hands until it is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. Divide into 12 equal balls. Let balls of dough rest 20 minutes at room temperature.
4. Preheat oven to 425F. On lightly greased cookie sheets, pat dough into 6" rounds.
5. Bake 5 minutes or until tortilla loosens easily from pan. Turn and bake 3 minutes longer.

Source: McCall Publishing Co. 1973

Arun, here is one without flour

Corn Tortillas

1 3/4 cup masa harina
1 cup plus 2 TB. hot water

Mix together to form a dough. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Press using a tortilla press or a rolling pin.

Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook 15 to 30 seconds. Turn over and cook 15 to 30 seconds or until slightly brown on both sides. Keep warm while you finish the rest of the tortillas.

Source: Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002 - CLBB Diane T 2007

Arun, here is one without flour

Corn Tortillas

1 3/4 cup masa harina
1 cup plus 2 TB. hot water

Mix together to form a dough. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Press using a tortilla press or a rolling pin.

Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook 15 to 30 seconds. Turn over and cook 15 to 30 seconds or until slightly brown on both sides. Keep warm while you finish the rest of the tortillas.

Source: Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002 - CLBB Diane T 2007

Thanks for the recipes. For this one, do I need to oil the skillet?

I don't think so, not if it is a good non-stick skillet. I guess after the first one, you will know.

Back