Cherry Wood

Jeff Bittel

TVWBB Fan
A acquaintance of mine has come into a very large amount of ornamental cherry wood from a neighbor who lost the tree in a windstorm.

Question: Is this cherry wood of the same quality of wood from a fruit bearing cherry tree for smoking purposes?

This may be a little off topic but its related to cherry wood.

I went to a local hardware store and to my surprise they actually sold cherry wood chunks but the bag said it was "black cherry wood". Is this the same as the plain "cherry wood" you see sold on web sites and such? If not, has anyone ever used black cherry wood?

Thanks,
Joe

I have used black cherry, it was from a friend and produced wonderful flavor, I feel it was more floral to my taste buds than "ordinary" cherry chunks. But it will be similar to saying I was using white oak or red oak, the predominent flavor will be oak, the subtleties of the flavor come after.

A number of recent threads have made me think about doing some side by side experimentation, there are so many factors though that I want to experiment with, fuel, meat, rub, brining, curing, slathering, moping, time, heat, etc. I may be very busy for a lot longer than I had intended.
icon_wink.gif

I've used black cherry nearly exclusively for years. I find it superb for all meats, brisket to chicken and salmon. The bark makes a great fire starter too.

Great! I will have to pick some up then. The less wood I have to buy online the better. The shipping costs are a little steep!
icon_eek.gif

-- Joey

Back