Cherry Wood

the single filet pack weighs more. and some of the chunks i got are way too big for the WSM. unless that is the only chunk you put on for a butt or brisket smoke.

So Tony you're saying it was a fortuitous error on my part huh, lol. I've always said "sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."
icon_wink.gif

depends on how you look at it. you get a little more wood for the little bit more you pay and i can probably use all but about 8-12 chunks as is. as much wood as i use on the WSM and kettles, i may be inclined to get the single filet again next time just because it is more wood.. i have a band saw, circular saw and a recipricating saw, i should be able to get those 8-12 chunks in half with no problem.

edit..
and as i stated earlier, the 1st time i ordered last year they didn't have 2 sizes. the order i placed before christmas i never bothered to scroll down i just ordered the serious smoker chunks and i did notice it was 5 bucks more than last time. i just thought the price went up
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
I think theres wild cherry in our neck of the woods but i don't know how to identify it?
Jerry in Central AL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jerry, Cherry is very easy to identify by it's bark.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
I think theres wild cherry in our neck of the woods but i don't know how to identify it?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And even easier by the fruit.
icon_wink.gif

(Bark is grey, smooth on trees under 8" or so. Wood, the center is reddish/orange, The outside year or two worth of growth is yellower, making a distinct two tone look on a cut end.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brian lanius:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And even easier by the fruit.
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But what about the other 11 months of the year.
icon_wink.gif

I have only used wild cherry but a friend says that a domestic cherry (fruit bearing) is sweeter. When I get my hands on some I will try it, but the wild cherry works til then.

Around here wild cherry is fairly easy to spot. The bark is dark, pretty much black or dark charcoal gray. I have seen them several shades lighter and usually where the sun can hit the bark. Pretty much the trees in the woods are black. The best picture I have seen for the bark is here.

Most of your fruit bearing trees have a smooth bark.

I use the smokilicous cherry and one of the neighbors kids said it smelled like cotton candy...They have a great product and are very nice people as well.

Back