Cherry Wood

Les Stubby

TVWBB Fan
We have an abundance of wild cherry in this part of the country-it's different than the cherry producing trees. Is it suitable for smoking?

Les Stubby

Absolutely! Some claim it to be a bit too harsh but I've never thought so. I've had access to wild cherry for years and use it often.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I think theres wild cherry in our neck of the woods but i don't know how to identify it?
I hear it makes good smoke wood!
Jerry in Central AL

Thanks all-picked up some what I call country ribs at Sam's yesterday-think I'll use the cherry on them this aftrnoon.

Les Stubby

My impression has been that when people refer to cherry wood, they are referring to the wild cherry (non-fruit producing) 90% of the time anyway. I've purchased cherry off the internet and it came marked as wild cherry.

Same stuff wood stove burners love because of the nice smell and high heat it produces when used for heating homes.

Todd

I've used wild cherry (non fruit producing, same as used in furniture) many times in my horizontal. Mostly for all wood cooks. One thing to be careful with in my experience is to let the wood burn down a bit. It can (and most times did for me) give off black smoke at the light and early burn phase. I most times would start with a good load of cherry sticks to create the coals then supplement with oak or hickory throughout the cook Other than that no problems - a great wood in my view.

And yes - use it in the fireplace all the time!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've purchased cherry off the internet and it came marked as wild cherry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd, you're correct. I order my wood from SmokinLicious and their cherry wood is "wild cherry." I love it! Try it with some chicken, give it a beautiful color and an unbelievable taste. I'll usually throw one chunk on the kettle when doing chicken, just enough.

Cut a few sticks up with my band saw and tossed them on. The ribs have been cooking a couple of hours, it 38 degrees and sunny. There's nothing I'd rather be doing. Will post on the taste later.

Les

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've purchased cherry off the internet and it came marked as wild cherry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd, you're correct. I order my wood from SmokinLicious and their cherry wood is "wild cherry." I love it! Try it with some chicken, give it a beautiful color and an unbelievable taste. I'll usually throw one chunk on the kettle when doing chicken, just enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,
Just curious, which size wood chunks do you order; single or double fillet? I was thinking of ordering some oak since it's pretty hard to find around here.
Thanks,
Steve

the 1st time i ordered cherry from smokingliscious they only had one size chunks. the order i placed just before christmas i didn't pay attention and got the single filet. the chunks are really huge. i have used up most of the smaller ones and think i need to cut down a few of the bigger ones. i would suggest the double filets for a WSM

from my Treo, please excuse typos - I usually buy single, however the order I placed last week was for double as I wanted to try them out and figured if I need them smaller I can always cut them in half. I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

The cherry really made the ribs taste good-unfortunately, the meat was the worst I have ever served. It was on long enough to be falling off the bone-the only thing which would get this meat off the bone was a chain saw. My wife kept saying how great it was-the leftovers are going in the trash. Back to the drawing board. At least, besides brisket, the other meals have been close to perfect.

Les Stubby

Larry,

Yeah, I was thinking of ordering the double and if they were too big, I'd cut them down to size, too.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Z:
Larry,

Yeah, I was thinking of ordering the double and if they were too big, I'd cut them down to size, too.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve,
It's the single filet that are the larger chunks. The double filets need no cutting.
Smokinlicious recommends double filet for the WSM, and based on what I got from them, I'd agree.

***! Dave you're right, I just read this on their website, "The Single Filet results in wood pieces that are approximately 3"x4" in width and height. The length will vary from 3-6. The Double Filet produces wood pieces that are approximately 2"X2" in width and height, with a length of between 2-4."

This makes no sense, I assumed just like when I order a double cut filet or double cut chop it's twice the size of the single cut. Again, I made this assumption and didn't read the detail, but I bet if you polled 100 people on this site at least 90% would think the same.

Man this sux, I just got a notice from them that my box shipped today . . . that's what I get for not reading.

Originally posted by LarryR:
***! Dave you're right, I just read this on their website, "The Single Filet results in wood pieces that are approximately 3"x4" in width and height. The length will vary from 3-6. The Double Filet produces wood pieces that are approximately 2"X2" in width and height, with a length of between 2-4."

Wow, I wouldn't have noticed that! Funny though, that the "double fillets" are cheaper. Another reason why one would believe they're bigger.

Steve

Back