Cherry Wood

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Cherry Wood

I got a call from my friend and he asked if I wanted any cherry wood. Well me and free go real well together so of course I said yes. Well he pulled up to my house with a pickup truck load. Check out the link above to see what I took. Basically, I have enough for a real long time. The big piece is about 8 inches in diameter and about 29 inches tall. The other two pieces are about 3 inches in diameter and about 18 inches long. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. This is some really nice wood. Now I have to chunk it up so it dries so I can use it. Mmmmm gooood!

I have recently been useing cherry alot and it works great for those who like a subtle smoke flavor. Very mild, almost too mild for my taste so I mix in some hickory to give it some help.

I use cherry every cook. I always throw on around 2 chunks. I am with Dale though, it is too mild to use alone.

If you are adventurous, smoke something smaller like ribs and use some cherry before it dries out. Before I got my wsm I had a brinkman and only cooked ribs a couple of times a year with it. I would go out to my cherry tree and break off a few branches, usually dead ones for the cook. Once I was out of dead branches and broke off a green one. My ribs tasted like I poured marchino cherry juice over them just before I ate them. Tasted really good. I haven't been able to duplicate that flavor since I started using chumks. I got too many laying around I guess.

Another cherry advocate here. It adds a real nice color especially to poultry and the smell coming out of the smoker is awesome. Like others, I use cherry 2:1 2 chucks maple, 1 cherry.

I got a hold of some red plum and the smoke was very nice..........almost smelled like a sweet pipe tobacco. Is cherry much the same.

I've never used cherry but I put a listing on Craig's List for anybody trimming fruit or nut trees and got a whole box of Pecan and also some Fig tree, (not sure about the fig). I had a lady email me about a red plum tree they were taking out but I wasn't sure if you could use it so I never emailed back. Craig's List is a good source for free wood though.

Back