Cherry Bark Oak -- storage

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
A massive cherry bark oak tree went down across the street in a storm a few days ago. I have taken a ton of the wood and cut it into discs approximately four to five inches thick. My intent is to use an axe to split the discs into fist sized pieces as the cooking need arises. My issue is storage.

I figure hanging the stuff in netted bags is a great way to set it out of the way and allow for plenty of air flow. The problem is I cannot find bags that fit the bill. I am thinking of the type of bags that onions and potatoes used to come in. The problem nowadays is that almost all produce is shipped in reusable cardboard boxes.

Any thoughts on where I can get some large netted bags? My local grocery stores do not have any. Thanks.

Where ya located C?
I guess if you need a bunch you can order from here.
If you have a wholesale produce market in your area you can also check there.
Around here farmer markets and local fruit stands use them. You could also check on AG or feed stores also.
HTH

Tim

If you can get your hands on some pallets, and make a bin or two of them, they can take a lot of wood. The airflow will be no problem, that is more a problem of the room that you intend to store them in. Leave them covered at the top outside for the summer, and move them inside when the wood is dry. The nets is a neat idea, but maybe overkill. Wood cut into five inch pieces and then chopped up will dry up in a jiffy.

Back