Chef's Table: BBQ on Netflix, Coming 9/2/20

I just tried the recipe and technique as described in Vaughn's article. 1 1/4" thick pork steaks with 60/40 salt/pepper. about half a mini-chimney of Weber briqs lit and poured over a ring full of lump mixed with some leftover briquettes and a couple chunks of pecan and cherry. 18" WSM with no water pan. used my DigiQ to keep temp around 260-270 ish. Where Vaughn says Tootsie takes 4-5 hours, this took less than 2 hours to hit 145* internal. Granted, Snows' pits are 30 inches between coals and grate, and a stock WSM is only about 16", and the recipe calls for 2 inch thick steaks. I used the mop recipe (divided by 4 - I didn't need a gallon of it). Seared at the end. We were quite happy with the dinner - I have been asked to put this in the rotation...

Did the meat pull like pulled pork, or did you eat it more like a regular beef steak?

Did the meat pull like pulled pork, or did you eat it more like a regular beef steak?
Like a steak. just added photos to my earlier post. I only cooked it to 145* before putting a little sear on it...
Will try again when I can get a butcher to cut 2 inch thick steaks from a pork shoulder.
I also have a rotisserie ring for my 18" kettle that i may try to use to get the meat higher above the coals. But I am worried that the holes in that ring would make it a bit harder to maintain a constant pit temp.

Like a steak. just added photos to my earlier post. I only cooked it to 145* before putting a little sear on it...
Will try again when I can get a butcher to cut 2 inch thick steaks from a pork shoulder.
I also have a rotisserie ring for my 18" kettle that i may try to use to get the meat higher above the coals. But I am worried that the holes in that ring would make it a bit harder to maintain a constant pit temp.

Was it tender? It seems like it wouldn't be, but I guess if you're cooking it that way it might be. I guess ultimately it's just a thick pork chop. Duh. Lol

Back