Checking for doneness on babybacks...

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I'm just trying to find ways to check for doneness for babybacks. I've used the "bounce test" in the past, but someone mentioned using a toothpick and that got me thinking as to how many ways there are to check. Any thoughts?? Thanks for all your help!

Tim

I've heard of the bounce, the bend, the probe, the pullback, the tear,the pull(similar to the tear but you don't pull quite so hard), the temp and the guess. I'm partial to the probe myself.

Bob,

When you say the "probe", with what and how can you tell it's done that way? Thanks for your help!

Tim

you can use your thermometer or toothpick or kabob skewer or a fork and you slide it in between a couple bones. It should slide in with little resistance. Try sticking your raw ribs with whatever you plan on probing with to get an idea the feel you don't want. I like my ribs with a little tug left to them so I don't go as far as the probe sliding into warm butter.

I usually use the "tear test". Just grab a couple of adjacent bones in the middle of the rack and try to "tear" the rack apart. If the meat offers a little resistance but then tears easily, they're done.

I also use the toothpick method, but now i've got them so dialed i pretty much just go by time and looks.

Thank you so much everyone for your help/advice. I'm on vacation all next week so there will be a lot of smoking going on!! Blessings.

Tim

Back