Check Out THIS Nifty Little Item:

That thing is awesome!

Pressure cooking changed my life. I'm not going to drop 300 on this gadget but you guys are just being snobs!

what's your favorite pressure cooker meal Dave? I got a simple model years ago but haven't used it much at all

what's your favorite pressure cooker meal Dave? I got a simple model years ago but haven't used it much at all

Clint,

I wouldn't say that I put together whole meals in it very often (braising cuts do better on the smoker obviously!) but it's just a great time and energy saver in the kitchen. I've had great success using it for the following purposes:

1. Making stocks. You can make a 24 hour beef stock in 2 hours. It's delicous, clear, gelatinous, and doesn't make your house smell like bones of beef/chicken/shell fish etc. This is worth owning one by itself.

2. Pressure steaming vegetables. Perfect broccoli, green beans etc with 3 minutes at high pressure.

3. Braised potatoes. I make this all the time. Bite sized potatoes, big chunks of garlic, diced onion, chicken stock. Sautee the onion, add the garlic and potatoes just to brown, then add the chicken stock and pressurize for 10 minutes. The texture of the potatoes and the garlic is amazing.

4. Tomato sauce. You can put together a marinara or beef sauce that tastes like it was cooked for hours in about 45 minutes.

You can do lots of other really cool stuff, the carrot soup from Modernist Cuisine is amazing. I made pressure cooked garlic confit using a ball jar full of oil and garlic cloves, that worked great.

Back