check out these briskets

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I like the look of the marbling. They are smaller and thinner than I like, those being about 12-13 lbs. What you have are certainly workable but they wouldn't be my first choice. (They would be for pastrami though.)

Kevin,

That was the first thing I noticed the thinness. How sould I adjust my cooking times and temps? Also I am just sercing thease chopped for a xmas party this friday. I have 4 of them.
Thanks

Those are pretty thin. I do like the consistent thickness though. Are you going to use two WSM's or are you going to get all four on one smoker?

I'd stick in the 250 degree range and start checking with the fork test after 9 hours or so.

Scott,
Yes I will use two WSM and that 250 sounds good to me.
Yes they seem a little think on the flat side but he really did a nice job trimming them.

I do briskets at high temps (300-325 unfoiled; 325-350 during the foiled stage), as you probably know. But were I cooking low/slow I wouldn't adjust cook temps. Time I might expect to be less--but this isn't a given. A thinner brisket with better internal marbling can take as long--or longer--as a thick brisket that is less well marbled. I'd check for tendrness earlier than usual just in case though. (Still, I prefer high heat for briskets.)

Rick, those look pretty nice. If you have a Smart & Final in your area, they have premium briskets at 1.69 per lb, and they cook very well.

Yeah, the one I bought at Smart & Final was a bit pricey, but it was well worth it. It was a really good quality cut of meat, with lots of marbling and the perfect amount of fat as well.
I am used to buying briskets in New Mexico at .99 lb and even sometimes we coud get them at .79 lb, but since I've moved back to California, I need to get used to higher prices.

Back