Check My Work (So I don't die)

AMumma

TVWBB Member
Hi friends,

Pork Belly came out of the cure this evening and is resting comfortably in the fridge. I'm confident that it looks good, but wanted to post a few pictures so the experts could tell me if it looks the way it should. No real smell to it other than the spices (it sort of smells like dog food, LOL) and it's nice and solid.

Fat Side

Skin Side

Side View

If anyone sees anything that looks...not good, let me know. Seriously. I'd rather chuck it than get horribly sick. I'm smoking it on Saturday around 4pm, so it's got some time to rest in the fridge.

Thanks everyone!

I don't see anything wrong, but can you post what you used in the cure and how long you cured it for?

To be honest, there is not much that can really go wrong esp since you are going to hot smoke it. It would be more of an issue if you would cold smoke it or leave it raw (like pancetta)

I don't see anything wrong, but can you post what you used in the cure and how long you cured it for?

To be honest, there is not much that can really go wrong esp since you are going to hot smoke it. It would be more of an issue if you would cold smoke it or leave it raw (like pancetta)

Hi Anne,

I followed this recipe, plus 1/4 cup water to make the cure more spreadable (it got very clumpy with the honey).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon.html

I did homemade bacon earlier this summer and after it cured for 10 days it looked like yours. Rinse it off really well and then I soaked mine for 6 hours in clean cool water to get some of the extra salt off of it. I smoked it to about 150 degrees and then put it back in the freezer overnight to cool, and i sliced it the next day. I still have to cook it like store bought bacon but it tastes so much better than store bought! Looks great!!

Doug

If you haven't already read it, Bob Correll's sticky titled Bacon Made Easy in the charcuterie forum is very helpful and is the method I use and it come out fantastic.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13312-Bacon-made-easy
The only thin I do differently is I use curing salt #1 instead of Morton's Tenderquick. The formula I use is 1 gram of curing salt #1 per pound of meat. That will give you 138 parts per million.

Back