Charred Garlic?

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I have roasted garlic many times but never charred it. I was looking through some recipes and one called for garlic cloves peeled and roasted over an over flame. I figure I'll toss the cloves in some olive oil and into a grill basket. Will there be that much difference between this method and regular roasting in the skin? Thanks for the input.

I think if you cook gently and/or with lots of stirring and tossing, the result will be similar to slow-roasted garlic. The cloves may dry out a bit, so they won't be as soft on the outside as roasted garlic would be.

Also, you have to be very careful not to burn the garlic.

Thanks Dave! Thats what I was thinking too in regards to burning. I think I'll just roast them like I normally do. It doesn't seem like there will be any benefit to peeling and grilling.

So-called charred garlic is usually made by cooking the individual cloves still in their skins in a dry hot skillet or by some other dry heat method. When the skins are charred they are removed, the garlic then included in the dish.

It makes little sense to me to remove the skin first and grill.

Peeling then tossing in oil - as one would for roasting many vegetables - can work well. Avoid bitterness by not allowing the garlic to brown to much and/or use moderate temps.

Thanks Kevin! Does dry roasting the individual cloves in the skin impart another layer of flavor that roasting a whole head in the oven with some olive oil does not?

The flavor is a bit different. More toasted, less roasted. This of course can get lost if used in dishes with numerous ingredients, especially if any or all are key flavors or more flavorful. But it is a common approach in some salsas from south of the border. For garlic, the cloves are unpeeled. When they toast well, cool a little then remove the peels. This dry pan, toasting or charring method is also used with onion, peeled first then sliced fairly thickly, tomato, sliced thickly, and tomatillo, usually left whole.

Back