CharQ lid repaint or leave it as is???

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I am redoing a CharQ and it is coming along great aside from one issue. The lid has some stains on it that will not come off. They are yellowish bright green and seem to have compromised the paint under them to the point that if I scrub them much, they will expose the bare aluminum underneath. They are small, but it makes the lid look bad on an otherwise nice clean CharQ. I would repaint it, but with the damper on top being riveted on, it makes that a very tough prospect.
Is my only options to leave the lid as is, or try to tape off the damper and paint around it? I would like to keep it all original if possible as that one of the beauties of these grills.
Here is a photo of the lid with most of the stains. The drip from the damper down is just dirty water that dripped and dried.
You can see where I scrubbed one of the bright green stains to where it came off, but left bare aluminum. The rest, I scrubbed just to the point I was worried it would strip the paint.
This will be a flip grill.
Any suggestions welcome.IMG_0001.JPG

Putting a screw in seems to be kind of a cheesy solution but maybe it could look good it done with good SS hardware. The problem with a rivet is that most of the time, rivets are designed to fit very snug and I would be worried that after I popped the rivet that it would not allow the damper to swivel easily.

All CharQ grills are about ten years old. They only made them in the early 2010's for 2-3 years.

I would try to sell it as it is and if I couldn't get the price I wanted for it, then I would consider painting it. I think people buy CharQs because they are unique and a rarity, and a clean original with a few minor blemishes might not be a cause for concern for potential buyers.

I am leaning in your direction Ed. I just finished cleaning up and oiling down the grates. It is ready to go and I think putting it up as is, is the way to go. I can always do the lid later if it doesn't get any action. But, I think the normal guy interested in the CharQ would probably prefer it to be all original any way.
Now, I just have to decide on a price.

I thought what this guy did was simple enough and looked good. I probably would have cut the bolt shorter under the lid for a cleaner look though.

Thanks, that is basically the solution I had in mind if I decided to paint the lid. I also would trim the bolt down to just a 1/8" to 1/4" or less below the nut.

I would try to sell like it is first and let the new owner change the
color if he wants. If no success, then possibly try something different.

Rust-Oleum Semi-Gloss Aged Copper 12 Oz. High Heat Spray Paint​

What was the original color?

I have a shot at purchasing a used one, but it's pink/purple. I was wondering if I could still paint it something like dark green, if it would cover well.

It should cover fine if you can find the color that you want in a High Heat version.
Is it possible to paint this underside rim also, or does that become tricky because you wouldn't want to get paint on the hood underside, inside?Screenshot_20220819-104240.jpg

You can paint those edges like the above photo, but I would tape off everything else to ensure you don't get any pain inside of that.

What was the original color?

I have a shot at purchasing a used one, but it's pink/purple. I was wondering if I could still paint it something like dark green, if it would cover well.
Titanium! Sand it then use a spray paint primer than your Hunter Green High heat paint!

Back