Charcoal

Jake Jacobson

A week ago or so I did a brisket and a butt on my WSM using the Minion Method with Kingsford Charcoal, I've done this a few times with great success on overnight cooks using Rancher Charcoal, my problem was the petroleum smell after getting started. I quickly dimantled my WSM and cleaned the charcoal out and went burning oak chunks and adding the coals to complete my cook. Has anyone else had this problem with Kingsford? I never had it with Rancher but can't find it anymore and I didn't want my meat to taste like petroleum.

Here's what's in Kingsford: wood char (wood charcoal), mineral char (aka charred coal, aka coke), mineral carbon (aka brown coal), powdered limestone , starch , borax , sodium nitrate and sawdust.

I think it's the brown coal and coal char that thinks. Maybe the sodium nitrate too.

I think Royal oak briquettes only contain charcoal and a starch binder or you can try lump.

Jake, I must admit that I have not been overwhelmed with the odor of which you speak. Perhaps my 70 plus sniffer is not what it used to be...

yes, there are many posts about the smell and kingsford. i hate them period. that being said there are many out there that say its ok. chris says its ok but i keep asking him to change. really depends on what you can find in yer area. i personally use royal oak or duraflame if i can find it. nakedwhiz did some tests and they didn't like it. go on their site and look to the right side of the lump tests.

I never noticed an off flavor in my food when I used K, just never liked the smell of it lighting. I have since switched to lump and like it a lot. Was able to get some Canadian sugar maple lump a couple of weeks ago at a store in Rhode Island about 30 miles from me for $8.65 for an 18 lb bag. I bought 8 bags and really like the stuff so far. So why not try some lump and see what you think?
For those in the area, a link. I was told they stock it all year.sugar maple lump Freight is as much as the charcoal if you order on line.

I won't say that K leaves a bad taste, just that in about 6-8 cooks thus far, everything has tasted markedly better over lump (not many choices around here - I'm using Full Circle brand - good review on nakidwiz). When I posted the question several replied that K is masking the true smoke flavor which is revealed with lump. Whatever it is, I am a total convert. Although it is more expensive, I figure I (and those I feed) are worth it, especially given the time and TLC that goes into a really good cook (as well as the lazy ones like chicken - put it on and come back in 75 minutes or so...this has got to be the greatest taste/effort ratio for any food and with lump the taste is outstanding).

Originally posted by george curtis:
yes, there are many posts about the smell and kingsford. i hate them period. that being said there are many out there that say its ok. chris says its ok but i keep asking him to change.
I like Kingsford, but I have nothing against lump, either. I've cooked with lump a couple of times in the past few weeks and I intend to do more.

The added burden I face is publishing a website that demonstrates to new WSM owners how to get some successful cooks under their belts. Kingsford is the lowest common denominator. Available in every grocery store and every hardware store in the nation, every bag consistent whether purchased in Alaska or Florida, lights easy and burns hot every time, and is affordable. Kingsford takes one variable out of the equation for new owners so they can duplicate with success what I show on the website.

Once the new owner is not so new anymore and becomes confident and comfortable with the WSM, then by all means try other charcoal products and use what you like.

I just think it's funny that some people talk about Kingsford with such disdain and hatred. I have never been able to understand the visceral reaction. But to each his own.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I just think it's funny that some people talk about Kingsford with such disdain and hatred. I have never been able to understand the visceral reaction. But to each his own.
I'm guilty as charged. But in all honesty, I really do diss like K. I'm a lump head through and through, till the day I die. Use what you like though. If you are happy with K, then have at it by all means. It all comes down to what suits you, and what you're happy with.
icon_wink.gif
I'm back.
icon_biggrin.gif

my hate is due to their great marketing. they have almost wiped out any choice for me. for awhile it was almost impossible to find anything good here. thats why. also i truly don't think its that great. i did side by side tests with the genuine old stuff and the new. big differance. smelled differant and the old burnt longer. also the ash of the old was soft ash. the newer stuff is like sand. also not that cheap either. if you can't go to costco, that stuff is about the most expensive here. 6.50-8.00 a 18 lb bag. nope, i will never use it. that being said, if you like it or if its all you can get(see my comment on marketing)then more power to you.

in addition, i just cannot understand why they changed. and what drove them to do it. i just cannot accept that grilling folks said they wanted something to light faster. they say it burns longer but thats cuz it technically lights faster. did anybody have a problem with this before ? did it smell bad before. no. it was a perfectly acceptibale charcoal. the only time a company does such a big change is to save costs to themselves or to make a bigger profit. remember, well at least here, that as soon as the new stuff came out the price jumped a 1.00 . ok, crawling back under my rock.

Attention Kingsford haters:

Hatred is bad for your health. Seriously. Let go of your hatred and just enjoy the mellow smell of your lump charcoal and the beautiful snow-like ash it produces.
icon_smile.gif

Have a great weekend everyone and good smoke to ya,
Chris

I'm not a Kingsford hater it does burn even and well, does great with Dutch Oven cooking, steaks, hamburgs, etc.. My thought was with the minion method when you put the unlit coles in the WSM when they ignite on the overnite cooks does it leave a petro taste? I've yet to use Kingsford for this like I said I've only used Rancher. As far as lump I have the instructions on how to make it hopefully this year I'll get to make some, its time to start cutting wood here in Ohio. I really lucked into a gold mine, a farmer I know had his woods logged said I could have the tops, hundred and some tops of white oak, hickory and ash. Might not get any fire wood but I will have some lump!

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:The added burden I face is publishing a website that demonstrates to new WSM owners how to get some successful cooks under their belts. Kingsford is the lowest common denominator. Available in every grocery store and every hardware store in the nation, every bag consistent whether purchased in Alaska or Florida, lights easy and burns hot every time, and is affordable. Kingsford takes one variable out of the equation for new owners so they can duplicate with success what I show on the website.
I am an admitted lump user, but I do use Kingsford from time to time, and I agree with you. It is easier to get a more consistent burn that will last longer than lump, with briquettes, IMO. I also agree about being readily available.

I see a lot of folks use Royal Oak briquettes on TVWBB, but if I use briquettes I will use Kingsford...I think it's just to do with growing up with it, I have always used it when I use briquettes.

IMO, it's all good...as long as it will cook the meat, no sense in arguing which is better or worse, all can use what they like. If Royal Oak is what you like, be happy with it and enjoy yourself.

As witnessed in another thread, even lump has it's followers of different types/brands. I happen to like hardwood lump the best and will stick with it, the quality when I break it up in my hands is far better than mesquite charcoal. All of our mileage varies, and I hope my comments are not taken in vain against other types that people use/prefer.

I'm heading out to a friend's house, and I know he uses Kingsford...I'll eat the meat off the grill and not have a problem with it!
icon_biggrin.gif

Jake, next tme you fire up your WSM, let the coals get going well. Don't put the food on while it's smoking.

I've only used K in my WSM and haven't had any problems doing it this way.

A week ago or so I did a brisket and a butt on my WSM using the Minion Method with Kingsford Charcoal, I've done this a few times with great success on overnight cooks using Rancher Charcoal, my problem was the petroleum smell after getting started.

Stupid question alert.

It wasn't the MatchLight, was it?

Originally posted by Mike A.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A week ago or so I did a brisket and a butt on my WSM using the Minion Method with Kingsford Charcoal, I've done this a few times with great success on overnight cooks using Rancher Charcoal, my problem was the petroleum smell after getting started.

Stupid question alert.

It wasn't the MatchLight, was it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As bad as reg K smells to me, I can't even imagine what the match Light stuff smells like, as I shudder.
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'm back.
icon_biggrin.gif
See, I know how to draw you out of your rabbit hole.
icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes you do.
icon_wink.gif
I smelled this post.
icon_biggrin.gif

I like Kingsford, but I have nothing against lump, either. I've cooked with lump a couple of times in the past few weeks and I intend to do more.
Good to see you coming over to the dark side!
icon_biggrin.gif

Don't feel bad, I'm actually thinking about doing a high temp brisket, now that Bryan's back, if I get stuck with the heat under 300 maybe he'll be able to help me out. I am thinking about a high temp brisket...
icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, what type of lump are you using?

You should do yourself a favor and try the Lazzari hardwood lump, if you haven't. You can get it at BBQ Galore. I really like the texture and quality of the charcoal when you break it up in your hands. Mesquite Charcoal will do in a pinch, but so will the Whole Foods 365 brand, it's Cowboy in disguise, as I recall. It's not bad, but not as good in quality as the Lazzari Hardwood Lump, IMO.

Oddly, I have never burned anything but lump in my WSM, I think I might have some K laying around from a hot dog cook for the local high school, not really sure. I do have a backup Whole Foods 365 hardwood lump, but I'm hooked on the BBQ Galore Hardwood Lump. Schools will not let anyone cook anything for them unless they are licensed, so I'm told...part of the new nutrition plan...
icon_redface.gif

Maybe we should do a local lump shootout, see what folks like best.
icon_smile.gif
Even compare it against briquettes...but you have to admit the K looks funny these days, it's stamped with some odd marking, unlike the old days when it looked like a normal briquette.
icon_smile.gif

Back