Charcoal??

Jason Robinson

I live in southern ky and I am having trouble finding lump charcoal all I can find is Cowboy and it contains alot of very small charcoal that falls through the chimney and is useless!!! I am waiting on Royal oak to appear at Wal-mart but until then it looks like charcoal and that leads me to my question...I can get Royal oak or Kingsford charcoal and I need some opinions on these 2..Thanks

I have used them both. Both perform well. I buy whichever is cheaper. Royal Oak is usually cheaper where I live. I find that you will get a longer burn time from charcoal compared to the lump I use. Therefore, I use charcoal for over night cooks. For shorter cooks, I use Hump lump.

Jason, GFS(Gordons Food Service) carries Royal Oak Lump.Where in Southern Kentucky are you located?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Robinson:
I went to the website and found the store locations thanks!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never had issues with Hump Lump for overnighters, get a good burn time from them, but Royal Oak, I plan on 10 hours, then I have to reload.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
I've never had issues with Hump Lump for overnighters, get a good burn time from them, but Royal Oak, I plan on 10 hours, then I have to reload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i get royal oak from a roofing supply store in 20 lb bags and have had the complete opposite experince with it. i can easily get 16+ hours off 1 load or royal oak and in the summer have gotten 20+ hours.

According to our friends at the Naked Whiz, there are two kinds of Royal Oak, nearly indistinguishable from one another. The wood in the more commonly found variety is sourced from American wood, I believe, while the more uncommon is sourced from Brazilian wood. The brazilian variety has a MUCH longer burn time.

No idea if that is why you are getting a longer burn time... just throwing it out there.

Here is the review of the brazilian royal oak. It has pictures to show you how to tell it apart from the other.

Here is the review of normal royal oak.

- Adam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to our friends at the Naked Whiz, there are two kinds of Royal Oak, nearly indistinguishable from one another... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bags are nearly the same. The ones with charcoal made with North American hardwood states that it was made in Roswell, GA. The South American product is typical of most South American Charcoal products. Some folks like, it some (like me) don't. I don't even care for the WGC charcoal, but I can't unload it.

I vote for good old North American hardwood charcoal with mainly oak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Robinson:
I went to the website and found the store locations thanks!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never had issues with Hump Lump for overnighters, get a good burn time from them, but Royal Oak, I plan on 10 hours, then I have to reload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I, like Bob just love the Hump Lump. I usually get 16-18 hrs out of one fill 8-9lbs of Hump before reloading. I have used RO many times North America one and it burns great. As Bob said it just doesn't last as long as the Humphrey's.

i'll have to give humprey a try if i ever come accross a bag.

the royal oak i'm using says "made in paraguay."
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
The South American product is typical of most South American Charcoal products. Some folks like, it some (like me) don't. I don't even care for the WGC charcoal, but I can't unload it.

I vote for good old North American hardwood charcoal with mainly oak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is it that you don't like about the South American charcoal?

- Dudley

1. Smoke/smell of the South American lump is unique. The term "perfumey smell" has been used and I'd agree. It's not bad, I just prefer the smell of oak. Yeah, I can add wood chunks, but with Royal Oak I don't have to.

2. I use lump in my kettle too, but South American lump sparks too much to light in a chimney. Too much for my comfort level anyway. All lump brands I've tried spark, including those made with with oak, hickory and maple, but the South American lump brands all spark a ton.

I'm not bashing South American lump, I just prefer lump from American Hardwood.

Just did a 13 hour plus cook with Best Choice lump over the weekend. Checked out the coals when I was done and probably could have gone at least another two hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:

2. I use lump in my kettle too, but South American lump sparks too much to light in a chimney. Too much for my comfort level anyway. All lump brands I've tried spark, including those made with with oak, hickory and maple, but the South American lump brands all spark a ton.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed that I have less sparking if I use leftover lump (from the last cook) in the chimney. I have some ribs cooking right now; I filled the charcoal ring with new lump from the bag, but started a chimney of leftover lump, and had almost no sparking at all.

I don't even care for the WGC charcoal, but I can't unload it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If only I lived close to NC. You could unload ALL of that on me...

Back